Scintillating weather and bowls - just a good day down at Harpenden Bowls Club
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Bowls Club ladies versus mens gala gave 55 club members the chance to enjoy some scintillating weather and play bowls on a perfect green – impressive considering the rain of the previous week.
The gala took place on Bank Holiday Monday and was played in some of the hottest weather encountered for the event with temperatures hovering around 27 degrees.
With just a breath of wind at best, the match was played over 18 rinks amid much mopping of brows and drinking of water.
There was a mixed final score line as the ladies recorded a 4.5 to 2.5 points’ win in rinks but the men achieving a nine-shot lead in total points scored.
There was a barbecue at the end of the afternoon to finish a beautiful day.
You may also want to watch:
There was also a five-rink mixed triples match at Berkhamsted which Harpenden won 92-80.
Harpenden won on three of the rinks, drew on one and lost the other.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 6 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 7 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 8 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 No cars mean children can play out in streets