Scintillating weather and bowls - just a good day down at Harpenden Bowls Club
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Bowls Club ladies versus mens gala gave 55 club members the chance to enjoy some scintillating weather and play bowls on a perfect green – impressive considering the rain of the previous week.
The gala took place on Bank Holiday Monday and was played in some of the hottest weather encountered for the event with temperatures hovering around 27 degrees.
With just a breath of wind at best, the match was played over 18 rinks amid much mopping of brows and drinking of water.
There was a mixed final score line as the ladies recorded a 4.5 to 2.5 points’ win in rinks but the men achieving a nine-shot lead in total points scored.
There was a barbecue at the end of the afternoon to finish a beautiful day.
There was also a five-rink mixed triples match at Berkhamsted which Harpenden won 92-80.
Harpenden won on three of the rinks, drew on one and lost the other.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time