Scintillating weather and bowls - just a good day down at Harpenden Bowls Club
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Bowls Club ladies versus mens gala gave 55 club members the chance to enjoy some scintillating weather and play bowls on a perfect green – impressive considering the rain of the previous week.
The gala took place on Bank Holiday Monday and was played in some of the hottest weather encountered for the event with temperatures hovering around 27 degrees.
With just a breath of wind at best, the match was played over 18 rinks amid much mopping of brows and drinking of water.
There was a mixed final score line as the ladies recorded a 4.5 to 2.5 points’ win in rinks but the men achieving a nine-shot lead in total points scored.
There was a barbecue at the end of the afternoon to finish a beautiful day.
You may also want to watch:
There was also a five-rink mixed triples match at Berkhamsted which Harpenden won 92-80.
Harpenden won on three of the rinks, drew on one and lost the other.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 4 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 5 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor