Savva hat-trick helps Saints maintain unbeaten league record
Another win for high-flying Saints
ACYL East Division
St Albans City Midweek Youth 5 Burnham 1
MARINO Hadji-Savva grabbed a hat-trick as St Albans City Midweek Youth thrashed Burnham Youth 5-1 to continue their unbeaten start to the Allied Counties Youth League East Division. Stuart Henderson and Gio-Lee Baptiste got the other goals with Harry Pearse netting for the away team.
The Saints started the match on the front foot, with Baptiste causing problems on the right wing and it was his cross for Henderson in the tenth minute that resulted in the opening goal.
Burnham’s midfield struggled to keep possession and this allowed St Albans to break on numerous occasions. Hadji-Savva shot wide before reacting quickest to a loose ball in the box to make it 2-0 with 25 minutes gone. That counter-attacking move had been started by defender Laurence Wroe who looked calm and composed all night.
However, five minutes later, the away side got an unlikely goal when right back Joe Zazzera missed his header and Pearse ran through to finish past Freddie O’Connell. Hadji-Savva then had a goal disallowed for offside but another counter saw him score a second before wrapping up his hat-trick on 43 minutes.
- 1 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 2 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 3 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 4 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 5 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 6 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 7 St Albans named best in the UK for recycling
- 8 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 9 St Albans leisure centre launches self-defence classes for girls as young as 12
- 10 What is being done to tackle fly-tipping scourge?
The second half was a scrappy affair with St Albans’ sloppy passing giving Burnham a foothold in the game, but they still threatened in the final third and Baptiste got the fifth after dribbling to a good shooting position on the edge of the box.