Saracens tag rugby tournament attracts over a hundred children to St Albans Rugby Club
- Credit: Archant
Over 100 mini rugby tag players gathered at St Albans Rugby Club for the culmination of a year-long Saracens training programme.
Throughout the season, Saracens Sport Foundation have visited over 20 Hertfordshire primary schools to run mini-rugby training sessions.
The programme and final festival is part of a nationwide youth rugby programme organised and funded by the national RFU and links into the ‘School Games’ – a government initiative to encourage sport in schools.
In total 13 schools attended the festival, bringing with them over 130 junior players aged nine to 11.
Also in attendance were nine junior leaders, children aged 14 to 15 from Verulam and Beaumont schools, who are training to be referees and were brought in to referee the 33 matches played during the festival.
You may also want to watch:
Matches took place through the day culminating in an all-Fleetville final, with Fleetville I just pipping Fleetville II.
Tanya Angus, school games manager, said: “It is great to see so many children enjoying the event and demonstrating the skills that they have learnt through the programme.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 3 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 4 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 8 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 9 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 10 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
“The leaders have been fantastic and have been a real credit to their schools – Beaumont and Verulam.”
Stuart Marcy, chairman of St Albans minis, said: “As a club with a small but growing minis section, we are very happy to support youth rugby in the area.
“Having the Saracens hold their annual schools tag festival at our club is a privilege and we are very happy to be involved in such a worthwhile event.”
Any child interested in playing mini rugby at St Albans RFC can contact the club at firstname.lastname@example.org