Saracens Storm success a source of just as much pride as Heineken Cup triumph
- Credit: Matt Impey / wiredphotos.co.uk
The Premiership Rugby Shield won by Saracens Storm is just as important as the Heineken Cup success for the first team according to director of rugby Mark McCall.
The 20-10 victory over Leinster at Newcastle United's St James' Park in European rugby's biggest tournament was followed up by a 55-14 victory for the Men in Black's development side at Kingston Park, home of the beaten Newcastle Falcons.
And for the young Sarries side, many of whom have played at Old Albanian, the triumph was just the latest in a very pleasing trend for the Allianz Park management team.
McCall said: "We backed up the win on Saturday with a great victory on Monday night with a lot of younger players.
"That was a great effort and one which gives us as much pride if I'm honest.
You may also want to watch:
"One of the successes of the season has been the development of the wider group and the emergence of some of these younger players.
"Adam Powell, Kelly Brown and Mike Hynard who have been running the team deserve huge credit for that."
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 4 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 5 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 6 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 7 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 8 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?
- 9 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead
- 10 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
Some of those younger players have already made their mark in the senior side.
But McCall says that is just the beginning, especially with one eye on the start of next season.
He said: "They all understand with the World Cup next year there are going to be plenty of opportunity for lots of players and we need a lot of them who have come through our academy to step up and play at a certain level.
"It's been a very good season because in years gone by there wasn't many A games to play in.
"But this year everybody has been busy and playing games."