Saracens Storm success a source of just as much pride as Heineken Cup triumph
- Credit: Matt Impey / wiredphotos.co.uk
The Premiership Rugby Shield won by Saracens Storm is just as important as the Heineken Cup success for the first team according to director of rugby Mark McCall.
The 20-10 victory over Leinster at Newcastle United's St James' Park in European rugby's biggest tournament was followed up by a 55-14 victory for the Men in Black's development side at Kingston Park, home of the beaten Newcastle Falcons.
And for the young Sarries side, many of whom have played at Old Albanian, the triumph was just the latest in a very pleasing trend for the Allianz Park management team.
McCall said: "We backed up the win on Saturday with a great victory on Monday night with a lot of younger players.
"That was a great effort and one which gives us as much pride if I'm honest.
"One of the successes of the season has been the development of the wider group and the emergence of some of these younger players.
"Adam Powell, Kelly Brown and Mike Hynard who have been running the team deserve huge credit for that."
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 3 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 4 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 5 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 6 St Albans Pub Pride: Why we need to tackle monkeypox prejudice
- 7 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 8 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 10 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
Some of those younger players have already made their mark in the senior side.
But McCall says that is just the beginning, especially with one eye on the start of next season.
He said: "They all understand with the World Cup next year there are going to be plenty of opportunity for lots of players and we need a lot of them who have come through our academy to step up and play at a certain level.
"It's been a very good season because in years gone by there wasn't many A games to play in.
"But this year everybody has been busy and playing games."