Saracens set for Wembley showdown with Saints
SARACENS are all set for their big day out this weekend as they take on Northampton Saints at Wembley Stadium on Saturday. New coach Brendan Venter saw his side record a good win over London Irish at Twickenham last weekend and they ll be looking for a re
SARACENS are all set for their big day out this weekend as they take on Northampton Saints at Wembley Stadium on Saturday.
New coach Brendan Venter saw his side record a good win over London Irish at Twickenham last weekend and they'll be looking for a repeat when they take on the European Challenge Cup holders Northampton.
Sarries captain Steve Borthwick hailed the character and determination of his side following Saturday's win over London Irish - and now all eyes are on Wembley Stadium this Saturday.
Sarries will become the first club rugby union side to stage a match at the iconic stadium and Borthwick and his Saracens team mates cannot wait for the game to get underway, especially on the back of the opening round victory over the Exiles.
You may also want to watch:
"It was a display of great character," stressed Borthwick. "London Irish are a side who everyone has tipped will be in the mix for silverware so to win the game was a magnificent performance and a great display for the team - especially with a number of things going against us.
"We're delighted with the win, but we know that we need to improve in a number of areas. Our penalty count was very high in the second half and we didn't adapt quickly enough to the referee, but we did show how hard the players are willing to work.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 4 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
"We have to remember that for some of them, it was their first experience of club rugby in the Northern Hemisphere so to come away with the win was a great result. It was a fantastic occasion and our supporters were fantastic.
Northampton Saints, who include England young-guns Dylan Hartley, Ben Foden and Shane Geraghty in their lineup, will provide a stern test for Borthwick and his colleagues, and the Sarries skipper says his side need to improve.
"Now we have another massive occasion to look forward to on Saturday. We will need to improve but everyone is excited by the prospect of running out at Wembley. It's going to be a fantastic day out for the supporters, but for us, it's crucial that we concentrate on learning the lessons on Saturday and working hard to improve as a team."
The pre-game show, which includes performances from Diversity, winners of Britain's Got Talent, starts at 1.30pm and tickets for Saracens at Wembley are still on sale at �10 adults and �5 for U16s from www.ticketmaster.co.uk