Saracens’ former Scotland skipper shock name in Old Albanian line-up
- Credit: PA WIRE
Old Albanian Rugby Club have pulled off a major coup with the signing of Saracens star and former Scotland captain, Kelly Brown.
The 34-year-old back-row forward, who won 64 caps for the dark blues, 15 of which came as skipper, was a surprise name in the OAs line-up as they opened their National One campaign with a stunning 35-3 win away to Blaydon.
Speaking after the game, Albanian player-coach James Shanahan explained the background to the deal.
He said: “We’ve got a good link with Saracens and he’s coming back from injury.
“He helped us with bits and pieces on the coaching side before Christmas last season. So when they said ‘is there a chance of getting game time and maybe a loan deal?’, we said yes.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s potentially for the season but we’ll see how long it goes. If it is for the season it’ll be great for us but it was only confirmed last week.
“He was a bit tired as he’s not played 80 minutes for a while and he’s not used to a team throwing the ball from everywhere. He was wondering where our kicking game had gone, obviously coming from Saracens.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 5 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 8 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 9 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 10 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
“But second half our kicking was much better so he was happier and smiling.
“So it’s great to have him and he adds plenty of experience to what is a young pack.”
Brown, who has been with Saracens since 2010, has just taken up an academy role with the club.