Samuel Ryder cyclists to ride Olympic track
- Credit: Archant
Pupils from Samuel Ryder Academy are being given the opportunity to cycle for free at the inspirational Lee Valley VeloPark, the venue for the track cycling and BMX events during the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Secondary school students from every London borough, plus all districts in Hertfordshire and Essex are being invited to the Lee Valley VeloPark Schools Festival on September 21-22 and 28-29 at the world’s premier cycling venue.
The young people will have a go at track cycling in the iconic velodrome, BMX on the remodelled Olympic track, road cycling on the one mile circuit and mountain biking on extensive trails that weave around Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
Paul Osborn, Lee Valley Regional Park Authority chairman said: “We fund the Lee Valley VeloPark Schools Festival to give children across the capital and further afield the chance to ride for free at the best cycling venue in the world.
“For most, this will be the first time that they’ve had a go at all four Olympic cycling disciplines – and Lee Valley VeloPark is the only place in the world you can do this.
“This is our second Schools Festival which is all about inspiring young people to enjoy cycling for sport and as part of a healthy lifestyle and who knows, the next Laura Trott or Chris Hoy may well be among them.”
The Lee Valley VeloPark Schools Festival is hosted by Lee Valley Regional Park Authority in partnership with the venue operators Lee Valley Leisure Trust.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 6 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 7 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 8 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 10 Rent this maisonette in a listed former pub for £2,100pcm
Schools Festivals are also hosted at the organisations’ other London 2012 legacy venues, Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre, which is also in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and Lee Valley White Water Centre in Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire. They give thousands of children and young people from across the region the chance to try a range of different sports.
Lee Valley VeloPark is located on Abercrombie Road, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London E20 3AB.
For more information go to: www.visitleevalley.org.uk/velopark