Saints win the ashes
ST Albans Cricket Club competed against local rivals Leverstock Green Cricket Club in their annual Leverstock Green Ashes series of 20-20 matches on Sunday. The impressive youngsters from St Albans emerged victorious with wins
ST Albans Cricket Club competed against local rivals Leverstock Green Cricket Club in their annual Leverstock Green Ashes series of 20-20 matches on Sunday.
The impressive youngsters from St Albans emerged victorious with wins from their Under 10s, Under 13s and Under 15s teams while the Under 12s and Seniors also gave gallant performances.
The Under 10s won their match by posting 182-7 to Leverstock Green's 145-5. Freddie Sapone was leading scorer, retiring after 30 runs, and Tom Goldstone and Alfie Button weighed in with 26 and 22 runs respectively. Wickets were taken by Harry Knill-Jones, Jack Ypey, Tom Blight and Alfie Button.
The Under 13s enjoyed a very tense game, which proved to be the decider in clinching the Ashes for St Albans. Chasing Leverstock Green's total of 111-7, they lost a number of early wickets, but a strong performance by their tail-enders, notably Matt Springall (retired on 30), Ben Blight (22) and Tom Li (12) secured the victory of 112-9.
You may also want to watch:
The Under 12s won the toss and asked Leverstock Green to bat. LG reached 96-7 from their 20 overs with the best bowling coming from Matthew Wright and William Feron. In reply, St Albans could only reach 72-8 with Mark Telkman scoring 30 not out. LG were worthy winners.
Representatives of the St Albans Colts squads are pictured with their replica of the famous Ashes trophy.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 5 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 6 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 7 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy