Saints win the ashes
ST Albans Cricket Club competed against local rivals Leverstock Green Cricket Club in their annual Leverstock Green Ashes series of 20-20 matches on Sunday. The impressive youngsters from St Albans emerged victorious with wins
ST Albans Cricket Club competed against local rivals Leverstock Green Cricket Club in their annual Leverstock Green Ashes series of 20-20 matches on Sunday.
The impressive youngsters from St Albans emerged victorious with wins from their Under 10s, Under 13s and Under 15s teams while the Under 12s and Seniors also gave gallant performances.
The Under 10s won their match by posting 182-7 to Leverstock Green's 145-5. Freddie Sapone was leading scorer, retiring after 30 runs, and Tom Goldstone and Alfie Button weighed in with 26 and 22 runs respectively. Wickets were taken by Harry Knill-Jones, Jack Ypey, Tom Blight and Alfie Button.
The Under 13s enjoyed a very tense game, which proved to be the decider in clinching the Ashes for St Albans. Chasing Leverstock Green's total of 111-7, they lost a number of early wickets, but a strong performance by their tail-enders, notably Matt Springall (retired on 30), Ben Blight (22) and Tom Li (12) secured the victory of 112-9.
You may also want to watch:
The Under 12s won the toss and asked Leverstock Green to bat. LG reached 96-7 from their 20 overs with the best bowling coming from Matthew Wright and William Feron. In reply, St Albans could only reach 72-8 with Mark Telkman scoring 30 not out. LG were worthy winners.
Representatives of the St Albans Colts squads are pictured with their replica of the famous Ashes trophy.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 9 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans