Saints warm up for new campaign
ST Albans finalised their pre-season build up on Saturday with a hard fought victory over Deal and Betteshanger. Deal, who play in London Three South East, provided competent and robust competition and were an ideal warm up for the start of the League
ST Albans finalised their pre-season build up on Saturday with a hard fought victory over Deal and Betteshanger.
Deal, who play in London Three South East, provided competent and robust competition and were an ideal warm up for the start of the League campaign away to Hampstead on Saturday.
St Albans went behind but soon found their feet and with the forwards having the edge.
Mark Kentish kicked a penalty and Saints took the lead when Martin Alderton scored his first try of the season. Kentish converted and Saints led 10-5.
You may also want to watch:
As in the first half St Albans conceded an early try but the forwards again got the upper hand and dominated the set pieces. Dan Hillier won good ball at the line outs and hooker Brenton Lemiere and flanker Tom Styles on his first team debut were outstanding in the loose. Lloyd Bickle was also tireless and put in some tremendous tackles.
A try from second row Mike Lane and the conversion and a penalty from Kentish sealed a 20-10 victory.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 4 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 7 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 8 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 9 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 10 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
Coaches Mark Trude and Nick Lister are happy with the pre season build up. St Albans this year are captained by former County Prop Brent Green, who has returned from a stint at Hertford. They will be running three sides, all of which are involved in competitive leagues, and welcome new players of all abilities.