Saints warm up for new campaign
ST Albans finalised their pre-season build up on Saturday with a hard fought victory over Deal and Betteshanger. Deal, who play in London Three South East, provided competent and robust competition and were an ideal warm up for the start of the League
ST Albans finalised their pre-season build up on Saturday with a hard fought victory over Deal and Betteshanger.
Deal, who play in London Three South East, provided competent and robust competition and were an ideal warm up for the start of the League campaign away to Hampstead on Saturday.
St Albans went behind but soon found their feet and with the forwards having the edge.
Mark Kentish kicked a penalty and Saints took the lead when Martin Alderton scored his first try of the season. Kentish converted and Saints led 10-5.
You may also want to watch:
As in the first half St Albans conceded an early try but the forwards again got the upper hand and dominated the set pieces. Dan Hillier won good ball at the line outs and hooker Brenton Lemiere and flanker Tom Styles on his first team debut were outstanding in the loose. Lloyd Bickle was also tireless and put in some tremendous tackles.
A try from second row Mike Lane and the conversion and a penalty from Kentish sealed a 20-10 victory.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
Coaches Mark Trude and Nick Lister are happy with the pre season build up. St Albans this year are captained by former County Prop Brent Green, who has returned from a stint at Hertford. They will be running three sides, all of which are involved in competitive leagues, and welcome new players of all abilities.