Saints U18s book cup final place
- Credit: Archant
Goals from Daniel Newton and George Devine booked St Albans City U18s EJA side’s place in the County Cup final against Ware.
A tense first half saw City pegged back early on by Cheshunt, however a Newton cross set Devine up to bury an acrobatic volley to level midway through the first half.
The half progressed with chances at either end, however it was Cheshunt who took one to put them 2-1 ahead.
On the stroke of half-time a Devine cross saw Newton nip in at the front post to put his header into the bottom corner to make it 2-2 at the break.
City came out for the second half in dominant fashion with free-flowing football played.
A Newton cross took a slight deflection to give City the lead for the first time and they continued to be dominate through the half.
Captain Jake Anthony had a goal disallowed and Joe Lilly also went close.
- 1 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 2 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 3 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 4 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 5 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 6 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 7 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 8 Tough mother Jenny giving back to Bone Cancer Research
- 9 St Albans SustFest kicks off in style
- 10 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
A tense last 10 minutes saw chances at either end, however City managed to see the game through and book their final date.
The final will be played in Letchworth at the County Ground on March 12 with a 10.30am ko.
Squad: Gauthier, Moroney, Newton, Sweeney, Heald, Lewis, Magee, Levy, Hann, Richardson, McGreevy, Hubbard, Merlo, Kateley, Gaffney, Lilly, Trotman, Devine, Swales, Berchiche, Anthony (C).