Saints U18s book cup final place
- Credit: Archant
Goals from Daniel Newton and George Devine booked St Albans City U18s EJA side’s place in the County Cup final against Ware.
A tense first half saw City pegged back early on by Cheshunt, however a Newton cross set Devine up to bury an acrobatic volley to level midway through the first half.
The half progressed with chances at either end, however it was Cheshunt who took one to put them 2-1 ahead.
On the stroke of half-time a Devine cross saw Newton nip in at the front post to put his header into the bottom corner to make it 2-2 at the break.
City came out for the second half in dominant fashion with free-flowing football played.
You may also want to watch:
A Newton cross took a slight deflection to give City the lead for the first time and they continued to be dominate through the half.
Captain Jake Anthony had a goal disallowed and Joe Lilly also went close.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 Green light given to new hospital project
- 3 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 4 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 9 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 10 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
A tense last 10 minutes saw chances at either end, however City managed to see the game through and book their final date.
The final will be played in Letchworth at the County Ground on March 12 with a 10.30am ko.
Squad: Gauthier, Moroney, Newton, Sweeney, Heald, Lewis, Magee, Levy, Hann, Richardson, McGreevy, Hubbard, Merlo, Kateley, Gaffney, Lilly, Trotman, Devine, Swales, Berchiche, Anthony (C).