Saints twice come from behind to earn point

HOCKEY: ST ALBANS twice levelled to ensure their first point of their National League campaign against Holcombe at Clarence Park.

HOCKEY: ST ALBANS twice levelled to ensure their first point of their National League campaign against Holcombe at Clarence Park.

After dominating the opening exchanges, the home side could consider themselves unlucky not to be in front following some excellent interplay from the attacking players.

Holcombe were unable to string together any sustained possession, and it was St Albans who controlled the initial period of play.

Despite the promising start, St Albans were unable to find the net, and it was Holcombe who opened the scoring when ex-international Harry Jawanda ducked between two defenders and drove into the circle, before seeing his reverse stick shot parried by Iain Fraser, only for a Holcombe forward to touch home.

St Albans responded well to this setback, and managed to level affairs when Steven Hurworth fired home powerfully after a good team move down the left hand side.

Holcombe engaged in some gamesmanship by making the home side wait several minutes on the pitch before emerging for the second half, but their antics did nothing but inspire the home side to come out with all guns blazing.

Most Read

When a Holcombe player was yellow carded and sin-binned for breaking down play St Albans sensed their chance to capitalise, but again were unable to profit. The tables were turned shortly after, however, when captain Paul Cooper was sin binned, but the hosts managed to see off the five minutes with a man down.

With just under 15 minutes remaining Holcombe looked to have sealed all three points when a follow-up shot at a penalty corner was nudged home from close range.

St Albans drew on their experience and responded well, with only the Holcombe goalkeeper denying coach Glenn Webster an equaliser after a pull back from Alan Miller.

St Albans did manage to salvage a point when Brett Holland connected with a deflected cross, and a 2-2 draw was certainly an encouraging result for the home side in a game that they could perhaps have won.

Cooper said he was satisfied with a point, but that the team perhaps deserved more.

“I’m satisfied with a point, but the team perhaps deserved more, and the performance is a stepping stone towards where the team would like to be,” he said.

The Tangerines will next week travel to local rivals Old Loughtonians.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter