Saints to face United or Angels in FA Cup third round qualifying

John Frendo celebrates his goal with team-mates

John Frendo celebrates his goal with team-mates - Credit: Archant

ST ALBANS City will face either Hayes & Yeading United or Tonbridge Angels in the FA Cup third round qualifying after their 2-0 second round qualifying win over Billericay Town at Clarence Park on Saturday.

The Saints returned to winning ways against the Essex side courtesy of goals in either half from Mark Nwokeji and John Frendo.

The hosts were close to taking the lead within the first minute of the match when full-back Lee Chappell unleashed a powerful effort which was inches over the Billericay bar and had Lumley scrambling to get a hand on it.

Up the other end of the pitch The Blues also went close as Glenn Poole saw his free-kick float just over the York Road End goal.

The opener came in the 17th minute.

After good play from James Comley, the ball was played out wide to Victor Osubu who crossed the ball into the box and Nwokeji managed to get onto the end of it before firing into the net.

After the goal the first half settled down and chances were limited for both sides as the defences found themselves on top.

Most Read

However, as half-time approached The Saints could have grabbed a second through Ben Martin.

Chris Watters’ corner fell to the large defender, but he could only head onto the bar, before the follow up was sent over the target.

St Albans began the second half in a much brighter fashion compared to Billericay and this paid-off just seven minutes after the interval.

A foul on Comley by Halle gave Frendo the chance to line up a free-kick 20 yards from goal.

The forward made the most of the opportunity as he hit a curling effort which left Lumley grasping at thin air.

The goal doubled City’s lead and virtually killed off the tie.

Before a rash of substitutions were made by both sides, including the introduction of Elliot Bailey in place of Nwokeji, the Saints had a number of chances to increase their lead, most notably for Nwokeji.

Frendo played his strike partner in, but Nwokeji could only blast his effort over when one-on-one with the keeper.

Substitute Harrison Georgiou could have had at least two assists after being introduced by joint managers James Gray and Graham Golds.

The teenager crossed into the box for Frendo, but the striker’s first time effort was straight at Lumley, before Elliot Bailey could only put his effort wide after Georgiou had played him in.

The St Albans dominance continued during the final 10 minutes of the game as wide man Watters saw his effort cleared off the line by a Billericay defender in the 83rd minute.

The final whistle blew as City secured their place in the next round.

The Saints return to league action on Saturday when they make the lengthy trip to Cornwall to take on 18th placed Truro City.