Saints striker Toomey hoping to return to action
STRIKER Lewis Toomey is looking to regain his place at the top of the St Albans City scoring charts as he hopes to return to first-team action this weekend, writes Sam Glanz.
The Saints face Banbury United in the Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division at Clarence Park on Saturday, with Toomey aiming to make his first appearance since early November.
City will be aiming to a record a fourth consecutive victory in what will be new mangers James Gray and Graham Gold’s first game in permanent charge. Former Hemel Hempstead star Toomey, who has nine league goals this season, returned to training this week after a hamstring injury.
The front-man revealed on Twitter he wants his top-scorer mantle back from team-mate Sean Shields whose hat-trick in the 3-1 away win at Bedworth United lifted him above Toomey in the overall charts.
On Wednesday he tweeted: “Looking forward to Saturday’s game v Banbury. Maybe I can get my top Goalscorer spot back from @sshields10 ;).”
You may also want to watch:
The Saints only managed to take a point from their two meetings with Banbury last season but will undoubtedly be looking for all three this time round as they look to build on their current position of sixth.
- 1 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 2 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 5 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 6 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 7 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 8 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 9 Remembering Heartwood Forest supporter Pam
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works