Saints slip to defeat
HSCL Division One St Peter s 0 Whitwell AFC 2 A GOAL in each half condemned St Peter s to defeat against fourth placed Whitwell. A great deal of effort was put in by the club to get the game on but unfortunately the performance on the field by the players
HSCL Division One
St Peter's 0 Whitwell AFC 2
A GOAL in each half condemned St Peter's to defeat against fourth placed Whitwell.
A great deal of effort was put in by the club to get the game on but unfortunately the performance on the field by the players failed to match the good work behind the scenes.
A few months ago Dave Whitehead's team were in a rich vein of form but since weather disruptions and heavier pitches the Saints have struggled to perform on a regular basis.
On Saturday St Peter's failed to test the goalkeeper and apart from a Nathan Sandiford effort, which had to be scrambled off the line, they never looked like scoring.
- 1 LIVE: St Albans and Harpenden A-level results 2022
- 2 Hemel Hempstead man wanted as part of assault investigation
- 3 Franco Manca receives licence to serve alcohol in St Albans
- 4 'Minor explosions' heard during garage fire near St Albans
- 5 St Albans one of the UK's top 10 most beautiful cities, says tiling firm
- 6 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 7 All trains cancelled between St Albans Abbey and Watford
- 8 'Get a grip on lawless Charter Market', traders demand in leaked audio
- 9 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 10 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
Half an hour in Whitwell hit their hosts on the counter attack and a left wing cross was headed home by a visiting striker.
A controversial penalty kick allowed Whitwell to double their advantage and killed off any hopes of a Saints revival.
The defeat was the first time the Saints have failed to find the net since mid-September and realistically ended the Saints' interest in securing a top three finish. Next weekend they welcome near neighbours AFC Hatfield Town to Lemsford (KO 3pm).
St Peters: Barnes; Mardle, T Gauthier, Wiltshire, Jones; Laffoley (Lee), Stuart-Neal, Blyth, Eames (M Gauthier); Ellis, Sandiford (Goodchild).