Saints slip to defeat
HSCL Division One St Peter s 0 Whitwell AFC 2 A GOAL in each half condemned St Peter s to defeat against fourth placed Whitwell. A great deal of effort was put in by the club to get the game on but unfortunately the performance on the field by the players
HSCL Division One
St Peter's 0 Whitwell AFC 2
A GOAL in each half condemned St Peter's to defeat against fourth placed Whitwell.
A great deal of effort was put in by the club to get the game on but unfortunately the performance on the field by the players failed to match the good work behind the scenes.
A few months ago Dave Whitehead's team were in a rich vein of form but since weather disruptions and heavier pitches the Saints have struggled to perform on a regular basis.
On Saturday St Peter's failed to test the goalkeeper and apart from a Nathan Sandiford effort, which had to be scrambled off the line, they never looked like scoring.
- 1 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 4 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 5 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 6 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 9 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 10 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
Half an hour in Whitwell hit their hosts on the counter attack and a left wing cross was headed home by a visiting striker.
A controversial penalty kick allowed Whitwell to double their advantage and killed off any hopes of a Saints revival.
The defeat was the first time the Saints have failed to find the net since mid-September and realistically ended the Saints' interest in securing a top three finish. Next weekend they welcome near neighbours AFC Hatfield Town to Lemsford (KO 3pm).
St Peters: Barnes; Mardle, T Gauthier, Wiltshire, Jones; Laffoley (Lee), Stuart-Neal, Blyth, Eames (M Gauthier); Ellis, Sandiford (Goodchild).