Chidy Chid bang bang! St Albans City swoop for two strikers
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
St Albans City have brought in the first new faces of the summer after signing two strikers.
Joseph Chidyausiku and Chid Onokwai have moved to Clarence Park from Chelmsford City and Haringey Borough respectively.
Onokwai hit 10 goals in 10 games for the Isthmian League Premier Division side before injury halted that run in November. He took that tally to 14 after returning to fitness before the season was cut short.
Prior to that he was with FC Romania scoring more than 30 times.
Chidyausiku has been training with former Saints striker Junior Morias prior to the move and impressed during this period.
You may also want to watch:
He has also had spells at Bracknell Town, Bradford Park Avenue, Havant & Waterlooville and Romford.
City manager Ian Allinson said: “Both of these players are very keen to learn and while they already have a certain performance level, we’re hoping they can really flourish at the club with quality players around them.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 9 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 10 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
“Chid is a proven goalscorer and I’m confident he can make the step up to really make his mark. He’s tall, strong and importantly I believe he brings a desire and will be a real handful for defenders, make no mistake.
“With regards to Joseph He’s another young lad who comes highly thought of and we looked at his attributes and believe he’s got talent we can nurture and improve.
“He didn’t really get a look-in at Chelmsford but considering he was behind Leroy Lita, Shaun Jeffers and Sam Higgins, it was only to be expected.
“Rod Stringer still speaks highly of him and he’s a player I’m happy to have at the club.”
The two new faces both took to social media in the wake of their moves.
Speaking on Twitter Onokwai said: “I’d like to thank everyone in the Haringey Borough family, especially the fans for making it the most enjoyable year I’ve had in football.
“I now look forward to meeting the new faces and scoring more goals at St Albans City in due time.”
Chidyausiku meanwhile said: “Delighted to continue my journey with St Albans City. Onwards and upwards as the hard work continues.”