Saints look to down Shots
ST Albans City bid for a place in the last eight of the Setanta Shield at home on Tuesday with a chance to put their league woes behind them. Steve Castle s team were thumped 3-0 at Clarence Park on Saturday by Maidenhead United in the league in what was
ST Albans City bid for a place in the last eight of the Setanta Shield at home on Tuesday with a chance to put their league woes behind them.
Steve Castle's team were thumped 3-0 at Clarence Park on Saturday by Maidenhead United in the league in what was a miserable home display.
The Saints now turn their attentions to Blue Square Premier leaders Aldershot Town having already eclipsed the Shots main title rivals Torquay United in the competition.
Giant defender Ben Martin returns from suspension and is expected to play at centre back alongside Ryan Frater. Former Stevenage Borough man Hasim Deen is likely to move to right back.
Simon Martin should be available to play for Saints subject to confirmation from Hayes & Yeading. Strikers Lee Clarke (suspended) and Paul Hakim (cup tied) are both out along with midfielder Paul Bruce (suspended).
On Saturday, Saints were crushed by goals from John Hastings, Manny Williams and Ashley Smith as their improving league form was curtailed by a second successive defeat.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 8 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
Former Saint, Hastings turned in the opener before the break and City goalkeeper Nick Eyre then failed to clear a ball early in the second half allowing Williams to capitalise for 2-0.
The third goal, neatly finished at the second attempt by Smith, piled on the misery for home fans desperate to see some overdue league wins.
Oaklands midfielder James Archer had the two best efforts for Saints in the first half driving wide and then forcing Maidenhead goalkeeper Louis Wells to make a rare save.
Nigerian born striker Wasiu Akanni Sunday is set to sign for The Saints subject to international clearance. Sunday has featured as a professional in Lithuania this season. The front man was recommended to the Saints by Barnet and has been training with the City squad.
Richard Butler has left Clarence Park to join Ryman Premier League promotion chasers Staines Town. Butler signed for City under former boss Dave Anderson but following the sacking of the manager, was unsettled at the club and expressed his desire to leave.
Kick off is 7.45pm for the Setanta Shield Fifth Round tie with Aldershot Town on Tuesday. Saints will be chasing a win to boost the confidence ahead of the match with Newport County at Clarence Park on Saturday. Lee Clarke and Paul Bruce return from suspension for Saturday.