Saints knock Heath off top
Spartan South Midlands Premier Division Colney Heath 2 Royston Town 1 Colney Heath 0 Chalfont St Peter 4 COLNEY Heath returned to the summit of the Spartan South Midlands Premier Division table following a 2-1 win over Royston on Saturday but tumbled down
Spartan South Midlands Premier Division
Colney Heath 2 Royston Town 1
Colney Heath 0 Chalfont St Peter 4
COLNEY Heath returned to the summit of the Spartan South Midlands Premier Division table following a 2-1 win over Royston on Saturday but tumbled down to third after they suffered their first league defeat of the season going down 4-0 at home to Chalfont St Peter.
Things had started well for the Magpies with a home win over Royston. Flying youngster Aaron Clarke gave the hosts the lead with just 14 minutes on the clock.
The score stayed the same until Royston grabbed an equaliser 11 minutes after the interval, centre half David Cain the man getting the goal.
- 1 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 2 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 3 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 4 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 6 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 7 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 8 St Albans SustFest events aim to boost local nature
- 9 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
- 10 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
However Heath recovered and grabbed what turned out to be the winner with just 16 minutes remaining thanks to Jon Donoghue's third strike of the season.
It was a valuable win for Heath against a good side but it was a different story on Tuesday night as Scott Lacey and Wes Awad's men failed to recover from conceding inside 60 seconds.
Terrell Lewis opened the scoring for Chalfont in the first minute and Adam Louth doubled their lead in the 27th minute.
The visitors effectively put the game beyond Heath's reach when John Carroll added a third 10 minutes after the break and Charlie Strutton's 85th minute penalty rubbed salt in Heath's wounds.
As a result of the defeat Chalfont have leapfrogged Heath, though the Magpies have two games in hand on the two sides above them.
Colney Heath: Blackman, Ashton, Olcot, Gerber, Teasdale, Stevens, Ashwood, Deacon, Jackman, Cooper, Clarke. Subs: D Parratt, Donoghue, Seidu, Dowling, Jones.