Saints improve against Hornets
Hornets run out 2-0 winners
St Albans City 0
ST ALBANS City continued their pre-season preparations with a 2-0 defeat at home to Watford.
Goals from John Eustace and Stephen McGuinn either side of the interval completed the victory for the Hornets but it was a much improved display from Steve Castle’s side.
You may also want to watch:
Included in the City ranks were former Ipswich defender Joe Clemo, Scott Sinclair and Glodi Kweme.
Just like Leyton Orient did the previous evening, Watford boss Malky Mackay named a strong starting XI for the game but suffered a blow just six minutes in when striker Danny Graham was forced out of the action with a bloodied nose.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 6 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 7 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 8 Shortages crisis hits district
- 9 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 10 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
Paul Bastock, making his first appearance of pre-season, did well to beat out Will Buckley’s effort but there was little he could do four minutes later to deny Eustace the opener.
Buckley went on a mazy run that saw him one on one with Bastock and, although the veteran kept out Buckley’s effort, Eustace was on hand to slot the ball away.
Both sides made changes at the break and it took a while for the game to settle down.
The npower Championship side doubled their lead just before the hour-mark through a McGinn header. Substitute Michael Bryan burst down the Watford right and delivered a pin-point cross that McGinn headed past Bastock from eight yards.
Rob Kiernan came close to adding a third for Watford but the midfielder was denied by a splendid stop from Bastock.
Steve Castle’s side now turn their attentions to Wednesday evening when they continue their pre-season schedule with a trip to Brackley Town.