Saints hit lowly Kettering for six

James Comley celebrates a goal against Kettering Town. Picture by Leigh Page.

James Comley celebrates a goal against Kettering Town. Picture by Leigh Page. - Credit: Archant

SAINTS moved within four points of the play-off places with a win over bottom side Kettering Town.

Action from St Albans City's win over Kettering Town. Picture by Leigh Page.

Action from St Albans City's win over Kettering Town. Picture by Leigh Page. - Credit: Archant

A poor first half preceded a dominant second in which City scored four goals to heap more problems on Kettering while sending out a warning shot to Saturday’s opponent, AFC Totten.

Head coach Harry Wheeler said after the game that he though City’s first half performance was as bad as the one against Gosport Boro, but praised the side for their efficiency in front of goal.

“It didn’t really click in the first half and to be honest if we were playing a better side we wouldn’t have been 2-1 up. There were gaps in the play and things that we can work on before Saturday.

“But we were clinical in front of goal tonight. We took our chances, which we need to do, especially against the better sides.”

With two back-to-back wins, hope around Clarence Park is on the rise with the tantalising prospect of play-off football, but Wheeler, while not dismissing the idea, said wait until after Saturday’s game.

“The AFC Totten game is massive – three wins in a row would be massive,” he said.

Most Read

“With the amount of games left we could easily be in there. All we can do is look after ourselves. If we win six out of seven, which is possible, then we’ll be in there.”

City seem to be hitting their stride at the right time of the season, and even though it took them 45 minutes to really showcase their potential, it only took six minutes to score against lowly Kettering.

James Comley swept the ball across from the left to right back Josh Urquhart who, from just inside the penalty area, sent a perfectly placed drive high to keeper Michael Quirke’s left for the opening goal.

Saints suffered a blow when Layne Eadie was helped off the pitch with an ankle injury on 17 minutes to be replaced by 18-year-old Myles Scott.

City’s second came from a dreadful error from Henry Eze. The Kettering defender misjudged a header back to his keeper presenting Comley with the easiest of chances, which he duly dispatched.

Kettering pulled one back on 34 minutes, Aman Verma heading past Nick Jupp, but the game was done 12 minutes after the restart when City doubled their tally.

Eze’s game went from bad to worse when he headed into his own net before Ngoyi raced onto a through ball before calmly scoring City’s fourth. And the striker was at it again in the 78th minute, notching his 10th goal in 13 games.

Kettering fought back with a goal on 85 minutes but there was still time for Elliot Bailey to collect Chris Henry’s rebounded shot and complete the rout.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter