Saints go nap against Town
Herts Senior County League Division One St Peter s 5 Buntingford Town 1 St Peter s enjoyed a comfortable 5-1 success over strugglers Buntingford Town to continue their recent run of good form. Manager, Dave Whitehead, had to do without six of his regula
Herts Senior County League
St Peter's 5
Buntingford Town 1
St Peter's enjoyed a comfortable 5-1 success over strugglers Buntingford Town to continue their recent run of good form.
Manager, Dave Whitehead, had to do without six of his regular squad due to injury and other commitments, but with a strong squad at his disposal everything ran smoothly.
- 1 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 2 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 4 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 5 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Man in his 20s stabbed in shopping area in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 10 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
An early strike from Richard Ellis got the Saints off to a good start and, but for several efforts coming back off the visitors' woodwork, the lead would have been extended.
Eventually a second goal arrived through James Lee, who found himself free and available in the visitors' six-yard box, heading home an excellent right wing cross from Nathan Sandiford.
Two goals became three as a left wing cross into the box from Jack Greaney just missed Richard Ellis' outstretched leg, but nestled firmly into the visitors' net, having caught out the goalkeeper by surprise.
The visitors did, however, miss out on an easy scoring opportunity to reduce the arrears, but at the break the Saints thoroughly deserved the 3-0 lead.
The Saints went off the boil at the start of the second period and they needed another strike from Ellis to get them back on track.
Buntingford pulled one back to ensure St Peter's didn't get complacent in the closing stages.
Play became scrappy and Buntingford should have made the scoreline more respectable but were wasteful in front of goal.
James Lee took advantage of some charitable defending to tuck home a low shot and finish the scoring.
Ellis and substitute Tinashe Jaravaza came close as they game petered out but it didn't matter as they points were already firmly in the bag.
The win, the Saints' sixth of the season, keeps them hard on the heels of the leading pack at the top of the division.
Saints will however lose out on three points gained in the 4-1 win over Debden Sports earlier this season after the Essex outfit decided to withdraw from the league.
A home fixture this Saturday sees Allenburys Sports visit Lemsford (kick-off 2pm).
Management duo Dave Whitehead and Kevin Barnes hope for the return of several players for the match.
St Peter's: Barnes, Gavthier, Wiltshire, Jones, Sandiford (Smith), Mardle, Eames (Jaravaza), Blyth, Greaney (Laffoley), Ellis, Lee.