Saints claim local honours
RFUW Championship South One Saracens II 5 OA Saints 17 OA Saints won their second game in a row away from home, beating local rivals Saracens. After a hard-fought game the previous week, the Saints were determined to secure another win and build some mome
RFUW Championship South One
Saracens II 5 OA Saints 17
OA Saints won their second game in a row away from home, beating local rivals Saracens. After a hard-fought game the previous week, the Saints were determined to secure another win and build some momentum for the second half of their season. They dominated the opening exchanges and, after some good driving play by the forwards, Sarah Mckenna sent a neat kick behind the defending back line gathering it herself and touching down for the first try of the game.
Saints controlled the scrums and, with Karina Page making some penetrating runs, they piled on the pressure. This led to the second try when Saints won a scrum against the head. Cath Botterman picked up the ball running blind and broke through the defence before offloading to Kim Stephens, who stepped inside the full back for an excellent try.
You may also want to watch:
Saints led 10-0 at the break and they continued to play the game on the attack in the second half. More quick thinking by Stephens saw her pass a tap penalty to Sarah Mckenna who ran through the defence from the half way line to touch down. The remainder of the game saw Saints valiantly defending their line, helped by some great tackling by Rachel German and Emma Nichol. Saracens did score a try but it wasn't enough to stop a very determined Saints team from claiming the points.
l TABARD are hosting a seven-a-side girls tag rugby tournament at their Cobden Hill ground. The competition on Wednesday, December 10, which is for Year 7 students, runs from 12am to 2.30pm with several local schools attending including Hertswood, Queens and Dame Alice Owen.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 4 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 5 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 6 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 7 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 8 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 9 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 10 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed