Saints claim local honours
RFUW Championship South One Saracens II 5 OA Saints 17 OA Saints won their second game in a row away from home, beating local rivals Saracens. After a hard-fought game the previous week, the Saints were determined to secure another win and build some mome
RFUW Championship South One
Saracens II 5 OA Saints 17
OA Saints won their second game in a row away from home, beating local rivals Saracens. After a hard-fought game the previous week, the Saints were determined to secure another win and build some momentum for the second half of their season. They dominated the opening exchanges and, after some good driving play by the forwards, Sarah Mckenna sent a neat kick behind the defending back line gathering it herself and touching down for the first try of the game.
Saints controlled the scrums and, with Karina Page making some penetrating runs, they piled on the pressure. This led to the second try when Saints won a scrum against the head. Cath Botterman picked up the ball running blind and broke through the defence before offloading to Kim Stephens, who stepped inside the full back for an excellent try.
You may also want to watch:
Saints led 10-0 at the break and they continued to play the game on the attack in the second half. More quick thinking by Stephens saw her pass a tap penalty to Sarah Mckenna who ran through the defence from the half way line to touch down. The remainder of the game saw Saints valiantly defending their line, helped by some great tackling by Rachel German and Emma Nichol. Saracens did score a try but it wasn't enough to stop a very determined Saints team from claiming the points.
l TABARD are hosting a seven-a-side girls tag rugby tournament at their Cobden Hill ground. The competition on Wednesday, December 10, which is for Year 7 students, runs from 12am to 2.30pm with several local schools attending including Hertswood, Queens and Dame Alice Owen.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 5 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 6 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 7 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 8 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 9 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 10 No cars mean children can play out in streets