Saints can be a top half side next season - Gray
- Credit: Archant
James Gray believes he has the squad to fight for a top half finish in next season’s Vanarama Conference South.
St Albans City have two games remaining and could finish as high as 11th in their first season back in the division after a three-year hiatus in the Southern League Premier Division.
It has been an inconsistent year for the Saints, highlighted by two excellent wins over Eastbourne Borough and Gosport Borough and their winless run in February.
“It has been a massive learning curve,” admitted Gray. “We’ve learned a lot recently. We’ve got players, even the experienced ones, who are still learning their trade.
“We’ve got the quality in the squad to do something, but we have to keep clean sheets first and foremost. Over the last four or five games, we’ve halved the number of chances given away compared to the six matches before.
You may also want to watch:
The lads are learning and I’m really pleased with the way we’re finishing the season. We’ve got good confidence for the last two games, then the summer as we set about trying to do better next season.”
He added: “We’ve learned a hell of a lot this season. For the fans, they were probably panicking that we might get relegated; I never had that feeling; there’s too much quality here. I’ve been around long enough to know what we’ve got.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
“This is a top half side at least. A couple of tweaks here and there and success might be around the corner.”