Saints are sunk
Herts Senior County League Division One St Peter s 0 AFC Hatfield Town 4 A woeful display by St Peter s saw them finish 2008 with a heavy 4-0 defeat against fellow strugglers AFC Hatfield on Saturday, December 20. The Saints went into their final fixture
Herts Senior County League Division One
St Peter's 0 AFC Hatfield Town 4
A woeful display by St Peter's saw them finish 2008 with a heavy 4-0 defeat against fellow strugglers AFC Hatfield on Saturday, December 20.
The Saints went into their final fixture of the year without the services of eight possible first choice players due to work commitments or injury and unfortunately their replacements were not up to the challenge, giving an awful performance in all departments.
The opening half was fairly even, with both sides creating and missing goalscoring opportunities.
Darren Shea, playing out of position at left back, found his return to action following two months absence through injury a painful one as he gifted Omar Rustu an easy opener.
- 1 Trains between St Albans and Luton cancelled due to fire
- 2 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 3 Man threatened officers with 'bomb' at police station
- 4 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 5 Motorbike strikes barrier on North Orbital Road near St Albans
- 6 Village prepares for return of Scarecrow Festival after three years
- 7 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 8 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 9 'Summer holiday blues? Why I'm gloating about being child-free'
- 10 Meet Hertfordshire's Birmingham 2022 medal winners
As the second half, progressed the Saints became more ragged, showing little fight and gifting the visitors far too many opportunities which they gleefully accepted. Rustu scored two more goals to seal his hat trick and Paul Jay fired home to complete a comprehensive win for the visitors.
The three week lay-off certainly took its toll as the Saints failed to compete in the latter stages, giving the visitors an early Christmas present of three points. The result sees Hatfield close the gap on their hosts at the bottom of the table to two points.
Despite the four against tally, the Saints had enough chances to make the result a lot closer. On another day, striker Mark Savory, could have had a hat trick. His confidence appears very low as he struggles to find the net at present.
St Peter's are hoping 2009 brings with it a change of luck and the return of numerous players would certainly give the Saints a fighting chance.
St Peter's start 2009 third from bottom, three points better off than basement side Bedwell Rangers.
St Peters: Collings, Ryan, Chapman, Court, Shea, Blyth, Stevens, Griffin, Lawrence, Bradshaw, Savory. Subs (used): Norris, Thompson, Njenga. Unused: Bedeau.