Saints announce full pre-season schedule
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City’s pre-season schedule has been announced ahead of their second season in the newly rebranded National League South.
The team returns to training at the end of the month, 13 days ahead of their first warm-up game against Sky Bet League Two side Dagenham and Redbridge at Clarence Park on June 7. It will be Ian Gayle’s first time back at the club since his successful loan spell came to an end.
Seven days later they entertain newly-promoted Barnet before making the trip to SSML Premier Division neighbours London Colney on July 16.
Two days later the Saints travel to Essex to take on Billericay.
The highlight of the schedule is on July 21 when a Crystal Palace XI make the trip to Clarence Park. The Eagles beat City 1-0 when the teams met last season.
Trips to Waltham Abbey, Biggleswade Town and Hitchin Town follow before the slate of pre-season games is wrapped up at home against National League side Woking.
Commercial manager Tom Norman said: “As much as we would have liked to be announcing fixtures against the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham, pre-existing agreements and the ever-growing number of high-profile televised tournaments means that it’s getting harder to cement the ‘marquee’ sides.
- 1 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 2 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 3 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 4 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 6 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 7 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 8 St Albans SustFest events aim to boost local nature
- 9 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
- 10 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
“That said, the calibre of opposition on show will provide the ideal platform for the team as we head into the new season.”
The season begins in earnest on August 4 with a trip to Ware in the first round of the Herts Charity Cup.