Saints all washed up in Bath
Blue Square South Team Bath 2 St Albans City 0 TWO second half goals condemned St Albans City to defeat at Twerton Bath as student side Team Bath took the points in the Blue Square South. Despite league positions to the contrary,
Blue Square South
Team Bath 2 St Albans City 0
TWO second half goals condemned St Albans City to defeat at Twerton Bath as student side Team Bath took the points in the Blue Square South.
Despite league positions to the contrary, City came into the fixture as the form side with two successive wins and seven goals scored while after a bright start the students from the University of Bath had failed to win either of their previous two outings.
Right back Lee Protheroe made his second start of the season for City, replacing Alex Bailey who had impressed in the 2-0 win against Bishop's Stortford. Bath coach Andy Tillson handed a first home start to Micky Bell.
Bath started the game brightly and City suffered a major blow inside the first 30 minutes when midfielder James Quilter, a key man in the recent revival was forced off the pitch with a hamstring injury.
- 1 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 4 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 5 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 6 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 7 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 8 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 9 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 10 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
City missed a glorious chance to open the scoring on 11 minutes when Paul Hakim rounded the home goalkeeper only to shoot wide of the mark.
Ben Martin and Hassan Sulaiman had efforts for Saints in the second half with the centre back lashing over and the winger forcing goalkeeper Jake Meredith to divert the ball away to safety.
Goalkeeper Paul Bastock was in good form for City but could no nothing as Bath took control with two goals. On 67 minutes Ben Thompson netted the opener and just two minutes later striker Steve Abbott fired in his sixth of the season.
The students comfortably passed the test and City were left with nothing from a tough examination.
St Albans City: P. Bastock, J. Fisher, S. Cousins, B. Bowditch, B. Martin, L. Protheroe (A. Bailey 73), H. Sulaiman, J. Quilter (S. Ridgway 26), P. Hakim, S. Martin (G. Cohen 63), J. Hunt, subs; L. Clarke, J. Archer.
Team Bath: J. Meredith, M. Lock, M. Bell, D. Smith, G. Warren, S. Lamb, M. Cooper (M. Perrott, 70), M. Canham, J. Llewellyn (J. Arnold, 65), S. Abbott, B. Thomson.
Referee: Mark Russell (Bristol).