Ryan returns with a six-wicket haul for Harpenden
IN his first game this season Harpenden’s Jon Ryan claimed a super six-wicket haul as his side defeated newly promoted Burnham at The Common.
The visitors won the toss and deciding to bat on what looked like a real belter of a wicket.
The home side welcomed back Ryan for his first game of the season having become a proud father earlier in the year, and what a return it was taking 6-47 to reduce Burnham to 171 all out.
There figures don’t give the story of an extraordinary first innings with Burnham cruising on 140-3 at lunch with the impressive Harveer Gandham 70 not out and a total of over 300 on the cards.
In 10 over after lunch Ryno took all six of his wickets ably supported by Simon White (2-43) to leave the home side nearly 80 overs to reach their target.
In reply Harpenden made light work of the total with James Latham (43), Chris Warn (65 no) and Mike Howard (39 no) all batting beautifully to give the home side an eight-wicket victory with plenty of time to spare.
The 2nd XI travelled to league leaders Baldock and thanks to some excellent bowling by Guy Watts (4-49) restricted the home side to 217-6 from their allotted 53 overs.
- 1 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 2 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 3 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 6 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 7 St Albans Beer and Cider Festival set to return after two years
- 8 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 9 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 10 Remembering 'Mr Harpenden' - the indomitable Michael Weaver
In reply Harpenden found the going difficult and with wickets falling regularly were 107-5 looking down the barrel of a heavy defeat.
Howver, Tom Cuppello (50 no) and Josh Sambrook (43no) added a partnership of 80 at a run a ball but unfortunately the overs ran out leaving the 2nds 20 short of victory.