Running: Three midweek wins from three for Striders
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Striders picked up three wins out of three in the midweek league at the weekend.
The senior men, senior women and vet men all won their races at Trent Park, while the vet women came second in their event.
The tough, 5.2 mile off-road course was hilly and muddy in parts and 223 male runners and 134 female runners took part.
The men were led home by Paul Adams (3rd) and Tom Crouch (4th), followed by Steve Buckle (8th), Steve Cockrell (12th), Graham Smith (15th), David Hope (19th), Peter Crowdell (22nd), Gary Warren (24th), Joe Dunn (29th), Mark Taplin (34th), Cathal Gallagher (36th) and Nairn McWilliams (40th).
The winning women’s team comprised Wendy Webster (3rd), Claire Kremer (8th), Wendy Walsh (9th), Jennifer Conway (11th), Helen Cartlidge (16th), Zoe Lowe (18th), Mercedes Getino (27th) and Deirdre Heydecker (33rd).
The victory, St Albans’ third, leaves the Striders in an almost unassailable position in the midweek league, especially as the final race is on their home turf on July 1.
On Saturday Striders Buckle, Adam Dunajko and Cathal Gallagher secured a one, two, three in the St Albans Parkrun while Jenny Maddocks was the second female and Walsh, with a PB of 19mins 43secs, was the third female to finish.
- 1 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 2 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 3 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 4 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 5 Day of fundraising for No Floor No More campaign
- 6 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 7 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 8 Village prepares for return of Scarecrow Festival after three years
- 9 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 10 Meet Hertfordshire's Birmingham 2022 medal winners
Elsewhere, Richard Wilcox completed the Self Transcendence 5k race in Battersea Park in 21mins 44secs; Marc Phillips finished the Silverstone Duathlon in 1hr 8mins and Graham Smith came second in the Polesden Lacy 10k in 38mins 10secs.
On Sunday, Mandy Attree, Lucy Stern, Steve Elkan, Conrad Wild and Jack Brooks ran the Stour Valley Trail Marathon in Essex.