Running: Striders lead Midweek Road Race League
St Albans Striders went straight to the top of the Midweek Road Race League this week, winning the men’s and ladies team events overall and the veterans competitions.
The 10k men’s race at Stevenage was won by Tom Crouch (32:21) with Paul Adams second (32:36). Completing the Striders men’s A team were Steve Buckle (5th), Adam Dunajko (14th), Jim McConnel (16th), Steve Cockrell (20th), Rob Simmonds (25th), Nairn McWilliams (29th), Cathal Gallagher (31st), John Knight (33rd), David Hope (34th) and Joe Dunn (35th). The Striders’ B team finished four overall, ahead of three other clubs’ A teams.
The ladies race was won by Wendy Webster in 38:53 with Jen Conway in fifth, Wendy Walsh sixth, Claire Kremer eighth, Jenny Maddocks ninth, Helen Cartlidge 10th, Zoe Lowe 17th and Chris Smith 18th.
The next league fixture is at Chingford in June.
On Sunday, Striders Mathias Genoud, Gary Warren, Simon Fraser and Graham Foster also won the men’s team prize at the Wheathampstead 10k. Wendy Walsh was second lady to finish in 43:16.
You may also want to watch:
Blake Vivian finished the Bristol 10k in 34:30 while Jack Brooks completed the Copenhagen marathon in 3:49:11.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues