Running: Striders lead Midweek Road Race League
St Albans Striders went straight to the top of the Midweek Road Race League this week, winning the men’s and ladies team events overall and the veterans competitions.
The 10k men’s race at Stevenage was won by Tom Crouch (32:21) with Paul Adams second (32:36). Completing the Striders men’s A team were Steve Buckle (5th), Adam Dunajko (14th), Jim McConnel (16th), Steve Cockrell (20th), Rob Simmonds (25th), Nairn McWilliams (29th), Cathal Gallagher (31st), John Knight (33rd), David Hope (34th) and Joe Dunn (35th). The Striders’ B team finished four overall, ahead of three other clubs’ A teams.
The ladies race was won by Wendy Webster in 38:53 with Jen Conway in fifth, Wendy Walsh sixth, Claire Kremer eighth, Jenny Maddocks ninth, Helen Cartlidge 10th, Zoe Lowe 17th and Chris Smith 18th.
The next league fixture is at Chingford in June.
On Sunday, Striders Mathias Genoud, Gary Warren, Simon Fraser and Graham Foster also won the men’s team prize at the Wheathampstead 10k. Wendy Walsh was second lady to finish in 43:16.
You may also want to watch:
Blake Vivian finished the Bristol 10k in 34:30 while Jack Brooks completed the Copenhagen marathon in 3:49:11.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents