Ruislip end Verulamians U14s 100 per cent record
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians U14s lost their 100 per cent record in the league this season, falling to defeat against a strong Ruislip B team in Division Six of the Herts & Middlesex junior league.
Playing into a fierce breeze in the first half, Vees scored an early try after Ben Meyrick offloaded to Harry Plummer to go under the posts. Lewis Casey added the extras.
Ruislip came back strongly and after sustained pressure on the Vees line, broke through to score an unconverted try. Vees responded with Meyrick scoring in the corner to make it 12-5 to Vees at half-time.
The two teams traded converted tries in the second half, with Corey Fletcher going under the posts for Vees, to make the scoreline 19-12 going into the final 10 minutes of the game.
When Jack Leming went over in the corner to make it 24-12 with 7 minutes to go, victory seemed assured, but Vees hadn’t taken account of the strength of the subs’ bench for Ruislip. Fresh players for the visitors turned the game around in the last few minutes against a tiring Verulamians side, scoring three unanswered tries, one in the final play, to inflict a harsh defeat on the Vees.
You may also want to watch:
In the end, Verulamians had to be content with taking two losing bonus points from a game they should have won, and it is some consolation that the two bonus points ensure that the team will finish in the top two in the league this year.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public