Ruislip end Verulamians U14s 100 per cent record
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians U14s lost their 100 per cent record in the league this season, falling to defeat against a strong Ruislip B team in Division Six of the Herts & Middlesex junior league.
Playing into a fierce breeze in the first half, Vees scored an early try after Ben Meyrick offloaded to Harry Plummer to go under the posts. Lewis Casey added the extras.
Ruislip came back strongly and after sustained pressure on the Vees line, broke through to score an unconverted try. Vees responded with Meyrick scoring in the corner to make it 12-5 to Vees at half-time.
The two teams traded converted tries in the second half, with Corey Fletcher going under the posts for Vees, to make the scoreline 19-12 going into the final 10 minutes of the game.
When Jack Leming went over in the corner to make it 24-12 with 7 minutes to go, victory seemed assured, but Vees hadn’t taken account of the strength of the subs’ bench for Ruislip. Fresh players for the visitors turned the game around in the last few minutes against a tiring Verulamians side, scoring three unanswered tries, one in the final play, to inflict a harsh defeat on the Vees.
In the end, Verulamians had to be content with taking two losing bonus points from a game they should have won, and it is some consolation that the two bonus points ensure that the team will finish in the top two in the league this year.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival