Ricci and Vees flourish in the Cotlandswick rain as St Albans suffer heavy loss

PUBLISHED: 09:39 21 September 2017 | UPDATED: 10:06 21 September 2017

Daniel Townson is hauled down by the Verulamians defence. Picture: KARYN HADDON

Daniel Townson is hauled down by the Verulamians defence. Picture: KARYN HADDON


Local bragging rights are well and truly with Verulamians at the moment as they stormed to a 38-0 home victory over St Albans.

The Cotlandswick-based rugby club took a while to get their noses in front but when they did, they made sure there was no way back for their nearest neighbours.

Full-back Alex Ricci scored 28 of the points, grabbing two tries and kicking three conversions and four penalties.

Joe Seymour got the other two tries. The pleasing point for coach Sam Perry though was not the points scored but rather the points not conceded.

He said: “It’s always nice to come away with a zero on the board.

“The boys are buying into what we are trying to do here and it’s starting to show in our results.”

The win was Vees’ second since winning promotion to London North West Three and they sit second in the table.

For St Albans on the other hand, the result was their first loss of the season but could have been so much different had they taken early chances.

Harry Tude had two shots at goal inside the opening eight minutes, with the second bouncing back off the post.

And with a downpour making handling difficult, the visitors enjoyed the better territory during the first quarter.

But Vees had the first big chance of the game, Mike Hollister intercepting on his own 10-metre line but the distance proved just too far.

It was a warning shot though and one not heeded by Saints who went behind on 26 minutes when Ricci’s break up field saw him reach his kick ahead and touch down.

The conversion hit the post but he was on target two minutes later after Sweeney combined with Ben Russell.

Two penalties by the Vees’ full-back in the two minutes before half-time gave the hosts an 18-0 lead at the break and Ricci’s metronomic boot landed two further kicks in the second half, the first from inside his own half.

Sam Allen’s yellow card put Vees under huge pressure but when Saints received a yellow of their own, Seymour stepped in for his second.

Ricci got the bonus point score with four minutes remaining, after a fine team try which had Allen and Sweeney heavily involved.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser