GALLERY: Forwards bully Fylde as OA’s losing streak ends at Woollams

PUBLISHED: 12:04 03 February 2015 | UPDATED: 14:48 04 February 2015

OA's celebrate scoring

OA's celebrate scoring


Old Albanian snapped a five-game losing streak with a dominant display in a 25-15 win over Fylde on Saturday.

OA’s last win in National League One came on December 13, against Darlington Mowden Park, leaving little optimism at Woollams ahead of the contest against top-four Fylde.

The pessimism quickly dissipated. OA’s dominance was highlighted from the first scrum, when the forwards generated a mighty push to steal Fylde’s put in, and towards the end of the game when wing Jimmy Speirs literally threw his opposite number into touch as OAs defended their 10-point lead.

The signs looked ominous early on as Fylde drove to the hosts’ five-metre line but OAs stole the first scrum to stop their attack. The next foray into OA’s territory ended with poor handling but not before Fylde were constantly hit at the gain line.

Poor handling marred the opening 40 minutes as opportunities for both teams went begging as the ball bounced off cold hands. It was Fylde, though, who opened the scoring mid-way through the half as Scott Rawlings touched down. Chris Johnson added the extras and was perfect with his next kick to give Fylde a 10-0 lead.

Ollie Cooper Miller and Andrew Daish combine for a tackleOllie Cooper Miller and Andrew Daish combine for a tackle

OAs cut the deficit before half-time when the outstanding Jordi Pasqualin flung a long pass to Chris May, who off-loaded to George Warner to score in the corner. Dan Watt converted magnificently from the touch-line.

Mike Allan’s quick feet and unwillingness to go down saw the hosts take the lead for the first time after the break. The winger broke two tackles before sprinting over the line from 40 metres out.

Fylde showed their hand thereafter as their prop-sized centre, Rawlings, was regularly handed the ball and he bulldozed his way forward. The move bore fruit at the end of the game as he scored his second try, bringing the score to 25-15, but OAs were already out of sight thanks to two successful penalties from Watt and a sublime Dom Regan try, in which he left a defender grasping at air with a quick side-step before touching down.

OAs return to Woollams on Saturday as Blaydon come calling. Kick-off is 3pm.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser