Another big score but again Harpenden are left wanting more

PUBLISHED: 12:00 06 October 2017

Harpenden were in complete control away to Hammersmith & Fulham.

Harpenden were in complete control away to Hammersmith & Fulham.


Free-scoring Harpenden took their points scored total beyond the 200 mark with another big win – this time 55-22 at Hammersmith & Fulham.

Bobby Tane was one of the Harpenden try-scorers against Hammersmith & Fulham. Picture: KARYN HADDONBobby Tane was one of the Harpenden try-scorers against Hammersmith & Fulham. Picture: KARYN HADDON

In total they have put 221 points on the board and remain one of only two sides, London Nigerian being the other, to have an undefeated record in London North West Two.

But as with last week’s 76-22 success at HAC, Harpenden appeared to promise more in the early stages than was actually delivered.

They had rattled in six tries in the first 40 minutes to the hosts’s three, conceded in the opening moments.

But having woken up to the fact they were down so soon, Harpenden countered with avengance.

The first score came from a try from the speedy George Attfield and fellow back-rower Ryan Gue also weighed in with two scores.

Further tries came from wing Fred Gulliford, centre Jimmy Speirs and outside-half Ollie Mann.

Mann also converted all but two having played a dominant role during most of the match, combining well with scrum-half Mark Evans.

Centres Speirs and Bobby Tane were solid in defence, making the right decisions at crucial moments of play.

And the best try of the match involved both men when the ball was passed down the line from Evans and Mann to Gulliford on the right wing who finished off a move that began in the Harpenden half.

By the time the sides changed ends Harpenden were in total control.

Their forwards, in particular in the tight and lineout, were superior earning the respect of their opponents.

The only area where Hammersmith & Fulham out-scored Harpenden was in the number of penalties conceded, probably six times as many.

The floodgates were about to open, or so it seemed. But an injury to Michael Goode forced him to leave the pitch for good and the effect was soon apparent.

From being in total command and leading 43-3, Harpenden ended up leaking three tries although Tane, Oli Lacey and Mann did also cross.

After two high-scoring away games, Harpenden will now look to delight their home fans when Enfield Ignatians visit Redbourn Lane on Saturday.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser