Rovers young guns open up with victory
HARPENDEN Rovers started their warm up for the 2008/09 campaign with a 1-0 pre season friendly win against fellow Herts Senior County side Bedwell. With more than 12 of the first team squad unavailable, Rovers handed debuts to five 16-year-olds
HARPENDEN Rovers started their warm up for the 2008/09 campaign with a 1-0 pre season friendly win against fellow Herts Senior County side Bedwell.
With more than 12 of the first team squad unavailable, Rovers handed debuts to five 16-year-olds and also included ace striker Adam Price on his return.
Debutant Ben Pegram was outstanding at right back working well with Chris Jenkinson as the Rovers defence stood strong.
Rovers forced an opening when Adam Price was pushed to the ground and a penalty was awarded. Gareth Devoti stepped up to take the penalty but the 2007/08 top scorer saw his kick saved by the goalkeeper.
You may also want to watch:
Rovers made several changes after the break and although the game lacked fluency, they eventually secured the deciding goal. Andy Lee combined well with fellow veteran Paul Turner who smashed the ball in the bottom corner. The game finished 1-0 to Harps. Alex Denehy and Mark Hiller also put in great debut performances.
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 8 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 9 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 10 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street