Rovers slip to late defeat
Herts Senior County League Division One Old Parmiterians 2 Harpenden Rovers 1 HARPENDEN Rovers faced lowly Old Parmiterians away on a fantastic pitch on Saturday. Rovers gave starting debuts to Ian Shaw and Chris Ellis and both began brightly. As the hal
Herts Senior County League Division One
Old Parmiterians 2 Harpenden Rovers 1
HARPENDEN Rovers faced lowly Old Parmiterians away on a fantastic pitch on Saturday. Rovers gave starting debuts to Ian Shaw and Chris Ellis and both began brightly.
As the half went on, Rovers dictated the match, completely outplaying OPs with the Old Parmiterians' 'keeper pulling off a string of fine saves. When he was beaten, the crossbar or the post saved them numerous time.
Just when it looked like the half would end goalless, Rovers midfielder Ollie Poole hit a rasping 25-yard drive into the bottom corner to lead at the interval.
Old Parmiterians came out firing at the beginning of the second half but they came across centre back Steve Fox in commanding form, supported by the full backs James Peacock and Ian Shaw.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 3 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 4 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 5 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 6 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 7 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 8 Breakaway Theatre Company returns with an enjoyable day at the races in Ladies' Day
- 9 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 10 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
Rovers came back strongly and started to reassert themselves and with, only seven minutes to go, the game looked safe. However, a harmless cross came into the box and the Old Parmiterians striker was allowed a free header to draw level and to snatch what looked like a point. There was more drama to come with a minute to go when Rovers tried to attack whilst defender Steve Fox was down injured. When Rovers gave posession away, the Old Parmiterians striker raced away unmarked to grab an unlikely winner.
Harpenden Rovers: P.Goodwin, J.Peacock, I.Shaw, S.Fox (N.Rawlinson 89), H.Williams, O.Poole (R.Gillam 45), M.Chugg, G.Golds, C.Ellis (C.Jenkinson 72), G.Devoti, W.Carberry.
l Rovers Reserves carried on their fantastic run with a 5-1 win against Croxley Guild Reserves with goals from Lythgoe, Downes, Palmer and a brace from Saddi.
Rovers' Third team also had a great result, demolishing Glenn Sports 6-1 away, with Chris Coleman bagging four and a brace from Joe Bray.
Rovers' Fourth team lost 2-1 against Tring Athletic B in a close contest. Rovers' scorer was Humphrey.