Rovers slip to late defeat
Herts Senior County League Division One Old Parmiterians 2 Harpenden Rovers 1 HARPENDEN Rovers faced lowly Old Parmiterians away on a fantastic pitch on Saturday. Rovers gave starting debuts to Ian Shaw and Chris Ellis and both began brightly. As the hal
Herts Senior County League Division One
Old Parmiterians 2 Harpenden Rovers 1
HARPENDEN Rovers faced lowly Old Parmiterians away on a fantastic pitch on Saturday. Rovers gave starting debuts to Ian Shaw and Chris Ellis and both began brightly.
As the half went on, Rovers dictated the match, completely outplaying OPs with the Old Parmiterians' 'keeper pulling off a string of fine saves. When he was beaten, the crossbar or the post saved them numerous time.
You may also want to watch:
Just when it looked like the half would end goalless, Rovers midfielder Ollie Poole hit a rasping 25-yard drive into the bottom corner to lead at the interval.
Old Parmiterians came out firing at the beginning of the second half but they came across centre back Steve Fox in commanding form, supported by the full backs James Peacock and Ian Shaw.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 5 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 6 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 7 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Look! Sneak peek inside Harpenden's new Eric Morecambe Centre
Rovers came back strongly and started to reassert themselves and with, only seven minutes to go, the game looked safe. However, a harmless cross came into the box and the Old Parmiterians striker was allowed a free header to draw level and to snatch what looked like a point. There was more drama to come with a minute to go when Rovers tried to attack whilst defender Steve Fox was down injured. When Rovers gave posession away, the Old Parmiterians striker raced away unmarked to grab an unlikely winner.
Harpenden Rovers: P.Goodwin, J.Peacock, I.Shaw, S.Fox (N.Rawlinson 89), H.Williams, O.Poole (R.Gillam 45), M.Chugg, G.Golds, C.Ellis (C.Jenkinson 72), G.Devoti, W.Carberry.
l Rovers Reserves carried on their fantastic run with a 5-1 win against Croxley Guild Reserves with goals from Lythgoe, Downes, Palmer and a brace from Saddi.
Rovers' Third team also had a great result, demolishing Glenn Sports 6-1 away, with Chris Coleman bagging four and a brace from Joe Bray.
Rovers' Fourth team lost 2-1 against Tring Athletic B in a close contest. Rovers' scorer was Humphrey.