Rovers pick up vital away win
Herts Senior County League Division One Bushey Ranger 0 Harpenden Rovers 5 HARPENDEN Rovers enjoyed an early Christmas present on Saturday, December 20, with a 5-0 win away at Bushey Rovers. Rovers were looking to avenge a 2-0 defeat from the reverse fix
Herts Senior County League Division One
Bushey Ranger 0 Harpenden Rovers 5
HARPENDEN Rovers enjoyed an early Christmas present on Saturday, December 20, with a 5-0 win away at Bushey Rovers.
Rovers were looking to avenge a 2-0 defeat from the reverse fixture and included three debutants, David Bounds, Martin Smith and Neil Cannon.
Rovers started very brightly, dominating the first 15 minutes but the scoreline remained 0-0 thanks to the Bushey 'keeper who made excellent saves, from Adam Price, Graham Golds and then Bounds.
Smith made it a debut to remember when he powered home a header from a great Ollie Poole corner.
- 1 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 2 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 3 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 4 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 5 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 6 St Albans named best in the UK for recycling
- 7 More harsh truths in the St Albans City dressing room as mistakes cost them at Chippenham
- 8 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 9 Removing asbestos from Arena will cost £250,000
- 10 'Entertaining and moving' dark comedy After Electra coming to the Abbey Theatre stage
Rovers kept up the pressure and doubled their lead when Haydn Williams scored after a Price shot was stopped on the line. Man of the Match David Bounds then added two after some great play between Price, Bounds and Cannon.
The game was effectively over five minutes before the break. Golds released Bounds again, only for a Bushey defender to cynically bring him down when he was through on goal, leaving the referee with no option but to show the Bushey player a red card.
The second half saw Rovers camp in Bushey's half but some resilient Bushey defending and some poor finishing meant Rovers could not add any further to the score until the last five minutes.
Price sent Poole clear and he calmly slid the ball under the oncoming 'keeper. It was a morale-boosting win and left manager Jim Nicholls delighted with such a strong performance.
Harpenden Rovers: Goodwin, Poole, Ellis, Smith, Foster, Wedd, Chugg, Golds, Bounds, Price, Gannon. Subs: Pegram, Jenkinson, Peacock.
l Rovers Reserves went out of the Junior County Cup, losing 5-1 to undefeated Bengeo Trinity, with Paul Turner scoring Rovers' consolation.