Rovers pick up vital away win
Herts Senior County League Division One Bushey Ranger 0 Harpenden Rovers 5 HARPENDEN Rovers enjoyed an early Christmas present on Saturday, December 20, with a 5-0 win away at Bushey Rovers. Rovers were looking to avenge a 2-0 defeat from the reverse fix
Herts Senior County League Division One
Bushey Ranger 0 Harpenden Rovers 5
HARPENDEN Rovers enjoyed an early Christmas present on Saturday, December 20, with a 5-0 win away at Bushey Rovers.
Rovers were looking to avenge a 2-0 defeat from the reverse fixture and included three debutants, David Bounds, Martin Smith and Neil Cannon.
You may also want to watch:
Rovers started very brightly, dominating the first 15 minutes but the scoreline remained 0-0 thanks to the Bushey 'keeper who made excellent saves, from Adam Price, Graham Golds and then Bounds.
Smith made it a debut to remember when he powered home a header from a great Ollie Poole corner.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
Rovers kept up the pressure and doubled their lead when Haydn Williams scored after a Price shot was stopped on the line. Man of the Match David Bounds then added two after some great play between Price, Bounds and Cannon.
The game was effectively over five minutes before the break. Golds released Bounds again, only for a Bushey defender to cynically bring him down when he was through on goal, leaving the referee with no option but to show the Bushey player a red card.
The second half saw Rovers camp in Bushey's half but some resilient Bushey defending and some poor finishing meant Rovers could not add any further to the score until the last five minutes.
Price sent Poole clear and he calmly slid the ball under the oncoming 'keeper. It was a morale-boosting win and left manager Jim Nicholls delighted with such a strong performance.
Harpenden Rovers: Goodwin, Poole, Ellis, Smith, Foster, Wedd, Chugg, Golds, Bounds, Price, Gannon. Subs: Pegram, Jenkinson, Peacock.
l Rovers Reserves went out of the Junior County Cup, losing 5-1 to undefeated Bengeo Trinity, with Paul Turner scoring Rovers' consolation.