Rovers miss chance of Aubrey upset
Aubrey Cup Mill End Sports 2 Harpenden Rovers 0 HARPENDEN Rovers went in search of an upset in the Aubrey Cup at Premier Division side Mill End Sports on Saturday. Rovers started brightly but with some players missing were unable to create any chances
Mill End Sports 2 Harpenden Rovers 0
HARPENDEN Rovers went in search of an upset in the Aubrey Cup at Premier Division side Mill End Sports on Saturday.
Rovers started brightly but with some players missing were unable to create any chances in the opening 30 minutes.
Mill End struck on 37 minutes when a cross was not dealt with by the Rovers defence and the home side capitalised to score.
Rovers came out firing for the second half led by the inspirational Mark Hitchcock who worked tirelessly up front and created several half chances that were not converted.
- 1 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 2 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 6 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 7 Tough mother Jenny giving back to Bone Cancer Research
- 8 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 9 Six Bells shock Skew Bridge to lift Herts Ad Knockout Cup
- 10 St Albans SustFest kicks off in style
With 15 minutes to go Rovers were tightening the screw with Mill End really beginning to panic. In the 78th minute a great through ball by Ollie Poole released Hitchcock who blazed over the top. Several minutes later defender Haydn Williams was put through by skipper Matt Chugg only to shoot straight at the goalkeeper.
With Rovers pushing for the equaliser Mill End secured their place in the third Round with a break away goal.
Harpenden Rovers: Thomas, Dobinson, Peacock (Lythgoe 76), Fox, Williams, Wedd (Carberry 65) Chugg, Golds, Poole, Devoti, Hitchcock subs unused: Pegram, Izzard.
Rovers Second string carried on their great start to keep the top of the table with goals from Turner, debutant Shirra and two from Redford as they beat Bushey Rangers 4-2.
The third Team secured a fine draw away to Hadley B 2-2 thanks to a brace from Chris Coleman.
The fourth Team put up a great fight against Hemel Rovers B losing 5-3 at home.