Rovers miss chance of Aubrey upset
Aubrey Cup Mill End Sports 2 Harpenden Rovers 0 HARPENDEN Rovers went in search of an upset in the Aubrey Cup at Premier Division side Mill End Sports on Saturday. Rovers started brightly but with some players missing were unable to create any chances
Mill End Sports 2 Harpenden Rovers 0
HARPENDEN Rovers went in search of an upset in the Aubrey Cup at Premier Division side Mill End Sports on Saturday.
Rovers started brightly but with some players missing were unable to create any chances in the opening 30 minutes.
Mill End struck on 37 minutes when a cross was not dealt with by the Rovers defence and the home side capitalised to score.
Rovers came out firing for the second half led by the inspirational Mark Hitchcock who worked tirelessly up front and created several half chances that were not converted.
- 1 St Albans restaurant wins big in Curry Oscars
- 2 Sexual assault onboard train to Harpenden
- 3 Property Spotlight: A stunning pub conversion in central St Albans
- 4 Founding CAMRA pub is on the market
- 5 Rearranged waste and recycling bin collection dates for Christmas and January in St Albans
- 6 Boreham Wood 4-0 St Albans City: FA Cup fairy tale comes to an end for The Saints
- 7 Comment: Sad times as St Albans faces the loss of another pub
- 8 Gift shop's £20K donation to cancer charity
- 9 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Camp area of St Albans
With 15 minutes to go Rovers were tightening the screw with Mill End really beginning to panic. In the 78th minute a great through ball by Ollie Poole released Hitchcock who blazed over the top. Several minutes later defender Haydn Williams was put through by skipper Matt Chugg only to shoot straight at the goalkeeper.
With Rovers pushing for the equaliser Mill End secured their place in the third Round with a break away goal.
Harpenden Rovers: Thomas, Dobinson, Peacock (Lythgoe 76), Fox, Williams, Wedd (Carberry 65) Chugg, Golds, Poole, Devoti, Hitchcock subs unused: Pegram, Izzard.
Rovers Second string carried on their great start to keep the top of the table with goals from Turner, debutant Shirra and two from Redford as they beat Bushey Rangers 4-2.
The third Team secured a fine draw away to Hadley B 2-2 thanks to a brace from Chris Coleman.
The fourth Team put up a great fight against Hemel Rovers B losing 5-3 at home.