Rovers lose out in 12-goal thriller
Herts Intermediate Cup Second Round Broxbourne Borough Reserves 7 Harpenden Rovers 5 (aet) HARPENDEN Rovers were involved in a 12-goal thriller, eventually losing 7-5 to Broxbourne Borough Reserves in the Intermediate Cup. Rovers were 3-0 down within 15
Herts Intermediate Cup Second Round
Broxbourne Borough Reserves 7 Harpenden Rovers 5 (aet)
HARPENDEN Rovers were involved in a 12-goal thriller, eventually losing 7-5 to Broxbourne Borough Reserves in the Intermediate Cup.
Rovers were 3-0 down within 15 minutes as they struggled to cope with the pace and strength of the home side but Joe Harmer reduced the deficit with a fine goal.
Harmer received the ball in his own half, drifted past two players before playing a one-two with Matt Chugg and firing past the Broxbourne goalkeeper from the edge of the area.
A further goal from Broxbourne saw Rovers 4-1 down at the interval but they shuffled their pack and Broxbourne failed to deal with the changes.
- 1 Cool off at London Colney's new Watersplash
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Herts Ad Sunday League mourns passing of two local legends
- 4 Major development planned for centre of St Albans
- 5 Big Brother House set to return to Hertfordshire for 2023 reboot show
- 6 Investigation over unauthorised development on Green Belt site
- 7 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire village of Bricket Wood between St Albans and Watford
- 8 Blue Plaque commemorating life of Duchess of Marlborough
- 9 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
- 10 Try-happy Cents brings grand final success and leaves coach thrilled
Rovers were awarded a penalty which was saved but from the resulting corner Graham Golds headed home. Rovers then won another penalty five minutes later when Gareth Devoti was hauled down in the box. Wayne Carberry smashed the ball past the 'keeper to make it 4-3 and Rovers were level with ten minutes left when Chris Jenkinson slid the ball under the advancing 'keeper.
The game moved into extra time and Broxbourne regained the lead in fortuitous circumstances when a miss-hit cross sailed over the head of veteran goalkeeper Paul Green. Rovers pressed for an equaliser and Broxbourne broke away to add a sixth with two minutes remaining. Rovers rallied and the inspirational Ally Watson pulled a goal back with sixty seconds left.
With less than a minute to go Rovers pushed everyone forward to try and grab the equaliser to take the game to penalties but Broxbourne broke away to score with the last touch of the game to win an outstanding match 7-5.
Harpenden Rovers: Green, Peacock, Carberry (Hamer 92), Fox, Harmer, Watson, Chugg, Poole (Izzard 78), Golds, Devoti, Price (Jenkinson 41).
l Rovers Reserves lost their unbeaten record, going down 5-3 to top of the table Cuffley. Town's goals came from Paul Turner who scored twice and an own goal.
l Rovers fourth Team also lost 5-3 in a thrilling encounter. Chris Coleman scored twice for Rovers with Dave Brown also finding the back of the net.