Rovers get rich return
Herts Senior County League Division One AFC Hatfield Town 0 Harpenden Rovers 3 HARPENDEN Rovers faced bottom-placed Hatfield in a must win game after back-to-back defeats. Rovers came flying out of the blocks, creating numerous chances, with Devoti and
Herts Senior County League Division One
AFC Hatfield Town 0
Harpenden Rovers 3
HARPENDEN Rovers faced bottom-placed Hatfield in a must win game after back-to-back defeats.
Rovers came flying out of the blocks, creating numerous chances, with Devoti and Carberry missing relatively straightforward opportunities. However, with Simon Foster dominating at the back and Gilham pulling the strings in the centre, it was just a matter of time before Rovers broke the deadlock.
They opened the scoring in the 22nd minute when a through ball from Gilham sent Carberry clear and he calmly rounded the 'keeper to slot home. The second goal came five minutes later when some great play from Peacock and Poole set up a comfortable tap in for Devoti.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 10 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
Devoti added his second and Rovers' third just moments later. This time Gilham and Ellis combined to carve open the Hatfield defence, setting up Devoti to crash home a pile driver from 12 yards. Rovers continued to dominate after the break but failed to create any further chances until fives minutes from time when Rawlinson shot wide of the post.
Harpenden Rovers: P. Goodwin, J. Peacock, J. Harmer, S. Foster (N. Rawlinson 80), S. Fox, O. Poole, M. Chugg, R. Gilham, C. Ellis, G. Devoti, W. Carberry (Alex Dennehey 74).
l Rovers Reserves carried on their fantastic run with two dramatic late goals to beat Christchurch Ware in the Junior County Cup 3-2, with goals from Lythgoe, Redford and Watson.
l Rovers' Third team were held to a 3-3 draw by Glen Sports, with Chris Coleman Mark Livingstone and Man of the Match David Hay scoring the goals while the Fourth Team lost 3-1 in a close contest against Tring Athletic B.