Rovers cause an upset
Rovers see off South Midlands outfit Hoddesdon
Herts Senior Centenary Cup
Harpenden Rovers 3
Hoddesdon Town 2 (AET)
HARPENDEN Rovers took on a strong South Midlands Division One outfit Hoddesdon Town in the Senior Centenary Cup.
Rovers were much the stronger team in the first half and created enough chances for the game to be out of sight, but some good keeping from the Hoddesdon ‘keeper and some shy finishing meant Rovers went in at half time only 2-1 up, both goals coming from hotshot Ryan Denys.
Hoddesdon responded well and equalised in the second half to take the game in to extra time. Rovers’ superior fitness showed in extra time and Denys got the winning goal to complete his hat-trick.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 4 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Author's new book explores mental health during the pandemic
Manager Bob Fowler was delighted with the team’s performance and has been delighted with the start to the season so far, with Rovers in contention to win the league as well as still being involved in four cup competitions.
* Rovers Reserves also continued their excellent run beating Bushey 3-1 despite the controversial sending off of Oliver Wedd. Goals came from Ben Warren, Tom Clarke, and Simon Beazley.
* Rovers A lost a game 4-2 that they should have won, after a brace from Phil Lythgoe, but some poor defending and poor fitness allowed Phillipine FC to steal the game.