Robson bullish about Middlesex’s One Day Cup challenge
- Credit: Archant
Middlesex opening batsman Sam Robson is bullish about Middlesex’s chances of challenging for the Royal London One Day Cup this year.
The 26 year-old right hand bat who played seven Test matches for England last summer believes his team’s convincing victory over Kent at Radlett on Friday can be the launchpad for the club’s first short-form trophy since 2008 - and the first List A title since clinching the Friends Provident trophy in 1992.
“We are still competing in the County Championship too, but realistically Yorkshire have built a good lead and are a good side, so we’ll just have to see how we get on in the Royal London by doing our best and competing as well as we can,” he said.
“It was a good team performance from the boys. We didn’t think our score of 260 was under par. We bowled well, and kept it tight and always thought we would have a chance.
“I think the wicket of Sam Billings was a key moment, and when Olly Rayner got him out we tried to press our advantage home. Kent have some good players so it was a good result for us. We just need to keep working hard and we’ll see how we get on.”
Middlesex followed up Friday’s victory with a 10-wicket loss to Hampshire and a Duckworth-Lewis victory over Sussex in which Nick Gubbins and Dawid Malan both scored centuries.
Middlesex are currently sitting fifth in Group B, two points off leaders Nottinghamshire, ahead of their trip to Essex tomorrow.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 6 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 7 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 8 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 9 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 10 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
“We’re not going to make any predictions about how we get on in this competition, we’re just going to do our best and see where it gets us,” he said.