Rio-bound olympians heading to St Albans Hockey Club’s charity day
- Credit: Archant
A host of Great Britain players bound for the Rio Olympics will join forces with the members and friends of St Albans Hockey Club for the club’s mixed charity day and summer Ball.
Guests of honour at Saturday’s event include GB men’s captain Barry Middleton and striker Sam Ward.
Ward joins GB manager Andy Halliday in coaching a team in a mixed exhibition game at 1.30pm, taking on a team coached by St Albans’ own Rio-bound stars Hannah Macleod and Ellie Watton.
GB’s James Bailey will play in the exhibition match as will the club’s new recruit, Trinidad and Tobago international Dillet Gilkes, and former club head coach and GB U21 international Martin Scanlon.
The day’s events will raise money for the Anthony Nolan Trust, the charity which saved Scanlon’s life.
Events start with all-age all-inclusive mixed hockey sessions starting with youngsters at 10am, then intermediates at 11am and seniors from 12 noon.
All are welcome to turn up and pay £5 to play. No connection with the club is needed.
- 1 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 4 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 5 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 6 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 7 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 10 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
With a BBQ and an open clubhouse and bar, the day’s events will culminate in a 400-seat Black Tie summer Ball in the evening, featuring the band Soulfish.