Rio-bound olympians heading to St Albans Hockey Club’s charity day
- Credit: Archant
A host of Great Britain players bound for the Rio Olympics will join forces with the members and friends of St Albans Hockey Club for the club’s mixed charity day and summer Ball.
Guests of honour at Saturday’s event include GB men’s captain Barry Middleton and striker Sam Ward.
Ward joins GB manager Andy Halliday in coaching a team in a mixed exhibition game at 1.30pm, taking on a team coached by St Albans’ own Rio-bound stars Hannah Macleod and Ellie Watton.
GB’s James Bailey will play in the exhibition match as will the club’s new recruit, Trinidad and Tobago international Dillet Gilkes, and former club head coach and GB U21 international Martin Scanlon.
The day’s events will raise money for the Anthony Nolan Trust, the charity which saved Scanlon’s life.
You may also want to watch:
Events start with all-age all-inclusive mixed hockey sessions starting with youngsters at 10am, then intermediates at 11am and seniors from 12 noon.
All are welcome to turn up and pay £5 to play. No connection with the club is needed.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 4 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 8 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 9 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 10 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
With a BBQ and an open clubhouse and bar, the day’s events will culminate in a 400-seat Black Tie summer Ball in the evening, featuring the band Soulfish.