Rio-bound olympians heading to St Albans Hockey Club’s charity day
- Credit: Archant
A host of Great Britain players bound for the Rio Olympics will join forces with the members and friends of St Albans Hockey Club for the club’s mixed charity day and summer Ball.
Guests of honour at Saturday’s event include GB men’s captain Barry Middleton and striker Sam Ward.
Ward joins GB manager Andy Halliday in coaching a team in a mixed exhibition game at 1.30pm, taking on a team coached by St Albans’ own Rio-bound stars Hannah Macleod and Ellie Watton.
GB’s James Bailey will play in the exhibition match as will the club’s new recruit, Trinidad and Tobago international Dillet Gilkes, and former club head coach and GB U21 international Martin Scanlon.
The day’s events will raise money for the Anthony Nolan Trust, the charity which saved Scanlon’s life.
You may also want to watch:
Events start with all-age all-inclusive mixed hockey sessions starting with youngsters at 10am, then intermediates at 11am and seniors from 12 noon.
All are welcome to turn up and pay £5 to play. No connection with the club is needed.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 4 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 5 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 6 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 7 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 8 No cars mean children can play out in streets
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
With a BBQ and an open clubhouse and bar, the day’s events will culminate in a 400-seat Black Tie summer Ball in the evening, featuring the band Soulfish.