Rick Grice Spirit of the Games award for Kyle Powell
Oaklands College student Kyle Powell was awarded with the Rick Grice Spirit of the Games Award at the 2013 Balfour Beatty London Youth Games and Annual Awards evening.
Powell won the award for demonstrating pride in his community by putting his name forward to represent Hounslow at the London Youth Games. He is the first and only member of his borough to compete at the disability athletics competition.
Kyle, now in his final year at Oaklands, is part of the college’s Athletics Academy and has had an eventful year since joining. He is part of the Lloyds TSB Local Heroes, in partnership with SportsAid, which provides athletes with grants, and he took park in the Sainsbury’s Anniversary Games this summer, celebrating the memory of the London 2012 Games at the Olympic Stadium.
Kyle commented: “I have had such a whirlwind year and it was all topped off with this award.
“I am now excited to start my next chapter which is my final year at Oaklands, where the teaching has allowed me to develop my athletic abilities whilst continuing my academic studies.
You may also want to watch:
“I will continue to represent my college, borough and country by doing what I love to do.”
Ryan Freckleton, athletics academy manager at Oaklands College, said: “Kyle has done so well in not just representing the College, but representing his country. He is a shining example of where talent and determination can get you.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 10 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
“Kyle is part of our very talented academy which I know will be achieving great things this academic year as the talent is incredible.”