Rick Grice Spirit of the Games award for Kyle Powell
Oaklands College student Kyle Powell was awarded with the Rick Grice Spirit of the Games Award at the 2013 Balfour Beatty London Youth Games and Annual Awards evening.
Powell won the award for demonstrating pride in his community by putting his name forward to represent Hounslow at the London Youth Games. He is the first and only member of his borough to compete at the disability athletics competition.
Kyle, now in his final year at Oaklands, is part of the college’s Athletics Academy and has had an eventful year since joining. He is part of the Lloyds TSB Local Heroes, in partnership with SportsAid, which provides athletes with grants, and he took park in the Sainsbury’s Anniversary Games this summer, celebrating the memory of the London 2012 Games at the Olympic Stadium.
Kyle commented: “I have had such a whirlwind year and it was all topped off with this award.
“I am now excited to start my next chapter which is my final year at Oaklands, where the teaching has allowed me to develop my athletic abilities whilst continuing my academic studies.
“I will continue to represent my college, borough and country by doing what I love to do.”
Ryan Freckleton, athletics academy manager at Oaklands College, said: “Kyle has done so well in not just representing the College, but representing his country. He is a shining example of where talent and determination can get you.
- 1 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 2 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 3 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 6 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 7 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 8 St Albans Beer and Cider Festival set to return after two years
- 9 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 10 Verulam Reallymoving's Houghton on a high with Bovingdon win
“Kyle is part of our very talented academy which I know will be achieving great things this academic year as the talent is incredible.”