Resurgent Tabard win again to secure safety
- Credit: Archant
Tabard continued their fantastic form since the New Year with a 28-22 win over Hampstead – a win that means they are definitely safe from relegation.
Tabard found themselves adrift at the foot of the London North West Two table with just one win from their opening 11 games.
However, since the bell tolled for 2016, the Radlett-based rugby club have won five of their nine games to climb clear of Staines and Old Merchant Taylor’s.
This win was built around a steady scrum and a much improved line-out which functioned effectively against much taller opposition.
A Jack Reilly penalty in the first minute put them in front but an unconverted try and penalty of their own gave the hosts the lead.
You may also want to watch:
A stunning break by Jermaine Ijieh, which saw him burst through four tackles, eventually led to Aaron Priscott levelling the scores after 20 minutes.
Reilly was unfortunate not to put Tabard back in the lead two minutes later with a penalty from 40m but his attempt held up in the blustery wind.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
However, Hampstead failed to clear their lines to any great affect, allowing Reilly to atone shortly after.
The fly-half was then in action at the other end of the field, saving a certain try just before the break with a good tackle.
Ijieh was having an impressive game and a further three tacklers were left in his wake early in the second half as he strode over for another Tabard try which Reilly converted.
The second row almost scored again but was hauled down just short of the line.
It was a moment which breathed new life into Hampstead and they crossed for two converted scores either side of another Reilly kick.
Tabard were not finished though and yet another strong break by Ijieh set up Tom King for their third try.
Reilly’s conversion secured the win.