Resurgent Magpies win again at misty Sun Sports
- Credit: Archant
Resurgent Colney Heath picked up a second win under new manager Ryan Thompson with a 3-1 success at Sun Sports.
The Magpies have won two and drawn one in the first four games of Thompson’s tenure and it was a powerful second-half performance here that helped them to the points.
The visitors offered a threat early on through the direct running of Lawrence Olorunfemi and Carl Osbourne, but the breakthrough didn’t arrive until three minutes after the half-time break.
Olorunfemi flicked a ball past the defender and, when he was tripped, James Ewington stepped up to covert the penalty.
Four minutes later it was 2-0.
You may also want to watch:
Osbourne was upended after cutting inside and beating two challenges and a clever routine from the resulting set-piece saw Danny McCafferty fire low and hard past the home keeper.
Sun Sports gave themselves a lifeline six minutes from time when Jack Johnson scored.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 8 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 9 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 10 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
But there was still time for a third and clinching Heath goal.
Substitute Adam Lawton picked up the ball and after riding a couple of challenges found himself one-on-one with the Sun goalkeeper.
From there he made it look easy as he sent the keeper the wrong way.
All in all it was a good performance from the Magpies, with strong showings from Liam Griffin, Jamie Eames and debutant Niall Lysaght, and it lifts them to 13th in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division.
Next up is the huge Colney derby on Tuesday, December 27 when they travel to Cotlandswick and table-toppers London Colney.