FA Vase: Replay needed for Colney Heath despite Histon finishing with nine men
- Credit: Archant
Colney Heath and Histon will have to do it all over again after an action-packed FA Vase match at the Recreation Ground finished 1-1.
Histon ended the tie with nine men after having two sent off but it still needed a Colney goal three minutes into added time at the end of normal time to take the game into an extra 30 minutes.
Spencer Clarke-Mardel got the all-important equaliser, meeting a deep Dave Etheridge cross with a powerful header back across the goal from a tight angle.
By that point Histon were a man light, having lost captain Max York to a straight red card for bringing down Clarke-Mardel as he made his way towards goal.
However, despite the numerical disadvantage the Stutes still found themselves in front just before the hour.
You may also want to watch:
Lee Smith got it, curling a free-kick over the wall, and they almost made it 2-0 shortly after but Dan Brown sent a shot over the top.
Colney had a couple of attempts saved by Sam Roach before getting back on terms and they had two good chances in first period of extra time.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 8 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 9 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
The final action of the game saw Histon lose another man with a second booking coming the way of Joe Sutton.
But there wasn’t any more time for Colney to get a winner and the sides will reconvene tomorrow for their replay.