FA Vase: Replay needed for Colney Heath despite Histon finishing with nine men
- Credit: Archant
Colney Heath and Histon will have to do it all over again after an action-packed FA Vase match at the Recreation Ground finished 1-1.
Histon ended the tie with nine men after having two sent off but it still needed a Colney goal three minutes into added time at the end of normal time to take the game into an extra 30 minutes.
Spencer Clarke-Mardel got the all-important equaliser, meeting a deep Dave Etheridge cross with a powerful header back across the goal from a tight angle.
By that point Histon were a man light, having lost captain Max York to a straight red card for bringing down Clarke-Mardel as he made his way towards goal.
However, despite the numerical disadvantage the Stutes still found themselves in front just before the hour.
You may also want to watch:
Lee Smith got it, curling a free-kick over the wall, and they almost made it 2-0 shortly after but Dan Brown sent a shot over the top.
Colney had a couple of attempts saved by Sam Roach before getting back on terms and they had two good chances in first period of extra time.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
The final action of the game saw Histon lose another man with a second booking coming the way of Joe Sutton.
But there wasn’t any more time for Colney to get a winner and the sides will reconvene tomorrow for their replay.