Regional final place for Harpenden Bowling Club
HARPENDEN Bowling Club secured a thrilling 3-2 victory at Welwyn & District in the county area final of the National Top Club.
Noel Roberts won the four wood singles and the fours, skipped by Tony Redford with Colin Driscoll, Rob Newby and Ken Murray, won 33-18, meaning the game came down to the triples.
From 12-0 down, Simon Burgess, Kevin Brazier and skipper David Brookes fought back to win by two shots. The win sets up a match against Maulden, the Beds County winners, for a place in the regional play-off final.
HBC’s Colin Driscoll, Rick Catchpole, John Osborn and David Brooks secured a place in the County Fours quarter final by beating Baldock. Needing five to tie from the last end, the quartet defied the odds to level the game and win on the deciding end. In the quarter final, the four play St Albans Townsend.
In the District pairs, Kevin Brazier and David Brooks reached the fourth round with a 21-7 victory over a pair from Potters Bar but there was disappointment in the Jones Cup as Harpenden were knocked out in the first round by Shire Park.
There was success in the Bob Vise Trophy after the fours of Rob Newby, Chris Poulter, Woodie Donoghue and Tony Redford gave Harpenden victory.
Tony Redford beat his club-mate John Taylor 21-19 to reach the quarter finals of the District Singles. He followed that with a 21-12 win over Colin Ball from Bishops Stortford to reach the quarter finals of the County Singles.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
Linda Newby won her fourth round County Singles tie before beating Sele Farm’s Hazel Ottley 21-8 to reach the semi-final, which will be played on July 11. She also won her third round match in the National over 55’s, beating club-mate Lucy Ratcliffe 21-13.
Jan Holland beat May Gunn of Shire Park in the Officers Singles, 21-10.