Redourn youngsters show the seniors how it’s done
Captain Downie leads the junior team to the Eric Russell Trophy
GOLF:THE youngsters of Redbourn Golf Club taught their elders a lesson in golf as they saw off all-comers to win the club’s prestigious Eric Russell Trophy.
Captain Louis Downie guided his junior team of 14 to victory, securing 14 points out of a possible 18 to beat the RAMS into second place on 12 points, with the Fossils/vice captain’s team third on 11.5 points.
The winning team was made up of Kumar Starkie, George Denton, Alex Copson, Conor O’Grady, Jamie Woor, Alex Rayner, Jack Stevens, Jamie Knight, Tom Smith, Harry Bigham, Ben Dunlop, Owen Wartnaby, Max Thomas and Tom Butler.
This year saw 13 teams going for glory, with 140 players playing 117 matches – including 26 foursomes, 26 fourballs and 65 singles matches.
The two-day event is played annually at Redbourn with many teams taking the opportunity to dress up in team colours and outfits to ensure the competition was played in good spirit.
It is played in memory of Eric Russell, a long-standing member and extremely popular figure at the club who passed away in 2002. His brother, Don, donated the trophy and the competition follows the same lines as the Ryder Cup, with fourballs and foursomes on the Saturday followed by singles matches on the Sunday.
- 1 LIVE: St Albans and Harpenden A-level results 2022
- 2 Hemel Hempstead man wanted as part of assault investigation
- 3 Franco Manca receives licence to serve alcohol in St Albans
- 4 'Minor explosions' heard during garage fire near St Albans
- 5 St Albans one of the UK's top 10 most beautiful cities, says tiling firm
- 6 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 7 All trains cancelled between St Albans Abbey and Watford
- 8 'Get a grip on lawless Charter Market', traders demand in leaked audio
- 9 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 10 Two Renault Trafic vans broken into in Hemel Hempstead
Tristan Hall, Redbourn Golf Club general manager, said: “The Eric Russell Trophy is one of the highlights of the year at Redbourn and once again the members came out in force to compete and provide another fitting tribute to Eric.
“Following the singles matches on Sunday there was a hog roast laid on for all the players, their families and friends. Around 180 people celebrated on the hottest day of the year – it was a great occasion for everyone.”
For more information on Redbourn Golf Club visit www.redbourngolfclub.com, Facebook www.facebook.com/RedbournGolf or follow on Twitter www.twitter.com/RedbournGolf.