Redbourn youngsters named as new Hertfordshire captains
- Credit: Archant
Two junior members of Redbourn Golf Club have been named as County captains for 2016.
Sophie Faulkner, 17, and Harry Bigham, 15, will captain Hertfordshire at their respective age groups for the rest of the year.
Faulkner has been a member of the club for just two years but has already proved her worth in the golfing arena with a playing handicap of five.
The new U18 Hertfordshire girls’ captain also claimed the title of Ladies Club Champion last year.
In contrast to the relative newcomer in Faulkner, Bigham has been at the club for nine years.
The U16 captaincy follows a successful year for the +1 handicapper, having won both the Men’s Club Championship, and the prestigious U14 amateur stroke play tournament, the Reid Trophy.
Ian McDowell, general manager at the club, said: “Here at Redbourn, we have always strived to create a welcoming and supportive environment for young players.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
“It’s been a pleasure to follow and support Harry and Sophie’s progress at the club.
“I anticipate bright futures for them both in the world of golf.”
Redbourn Golf School was awarded the Golfmark Accreditation in recognition of being a beginner and junior-friendly club.
Junior members have full access to the club’s facilities which include a challenging nine-hole par 3 course, a scenic 18-hole main course, a covered driving range with 20 bays and a short game practice area with a large putting green.