Redbourn youngsters named as new Hertfordshire captains
- Credit: Archant
Two junior members of Redbourn Golf Club have been named as County captains for 2016.
Sophie Faulkner, 17, and Harry Bigham, 15, will captain Hertfordshire at their respective age groups for the rest of the year.
Faulkner has been a member of the club for just two years but has already proved her worth in the golfing arena with a playing handicap of five.
The new U18 Hertfordshire girls’ captain also claimed the title of Ladies Club Champion last year.
In contrast to the relative newcomer in Faulkner, Bigham has been at the club for nine years.
You may also want to watch:
The U16 captaincy follows a successful year for the +1 handicapper, having won both the Men’s Club Championship, and the prestigious U14 amateur stroke play tournament, the Reid Trophy.
Ian McDowell, general manager at the club, said: “Here at Redbourn, we have always strived to create a welcoming and supportive environment for young players.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Coursers Road, London Colney: Trailer flips over
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
“It’s been a pleasure to follow and support Harry and Sophie’s progress at the club.
“I anticipate bright futures for them both in the world of golf.”
Redbourn Golf School was awarded the Golfmark Accreditation in recognition of being a beginner and junior-friendly club.
Junior members have full access to the club’s facilities which include a challenging nine-hole par 3 course, a scenic 18-hole main course, a covered driving range with 20 bays and a short game practice area with a large putting green.