Red card drama at the end of goalless draw
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town held second in the table Bedford to a goalless draw at Rothamsted Park on Tuesday night.
The match ended in drama when Bedford’s Dean Sturniolo appeared to throw a punch at Harpenden striker Harry Hunt and the opposition player manager Luigi Rocco got involved leading to both Bedford players being sent off right on 90 minutes.
There was no time for Harpenden to capitalise with Bedford down to nine men and the game ended goalless. Despite the lack of goals both sides put on a fast paced and entertaining game with several chances each.
Town Manager Danny Plumb said:”We started to match Bedford after 20 minutes and it was a very good end-to-end game. We had plenty of chances but couldn’t find the net.”
After half-an-hour Tom Collin picked the ball on the right of the box and his shot produced a fine diving save from Bedford keeper Aaron Bodger.
You may also want to watch:
Minutes later right back Tom Warren crossed the ball across the face of the goal but no-one could get on the end of the ball.
In the second half Harpenden’s Matt Sutton and captain Jack Cartwright both came close to scoring with headers from corners.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans
Bedford also missed several chances with forwards racing through the middle but failing to find the net.
On Saturday, Harpenden are again at home in Rothamsted Park in the quarter-final of the Anagram Records Feeder Leagues Trophy against White Ensign.