Red card drama at the end of goalless draw
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town held second in the table Bedford to a goalless draw at Rothamsted Park on Tuesday night.
The match ended in drama when Bedford’s Dean Sturniolo appeared to throw a punch at Harpenden striker Harry Hunt and the opposition player manager Luigi Rocco got involved leading to both Bedford players being sent off right on 90 minutes.
There was no time for Harpenden to capitalise with Bedford down to nine men and the game ended goalless. Despite the lack of goals both sides put on a fast paced and entertaining game with several chances each.
Town Manager Danny Plumb said:”We started to match Bedford after 20 minutes and it was a very good end-to-end game. We had plenty of chances but couldn’t find the net.”
After half-an-hour Tom Collin picked the ball on the right of the box and his shot produced a fine diving save from Bedford keeper Aaron Bodger.
You may also want to watch:
Minutes later right back Tom Warren crossed the ball across the face of the goal but no-one could get on the end of the ball.
In the second half Harpenden’s Matt Sutton and captain Jack Cartwright both came close to scoring with headers from corners.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 4 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 9 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
Bedford also missed several chances with forwards racing through the middle but failing to find the net.
On Saturday, Harpenden are again at home in Rothamsted Park in the quarter-final of the Anagram Records Feeder Leagues Trophy against White Ensign.