Records tumble at primary school swimming gala
- Credit: Archant
Records tumbled as young swimmers from the district took part in a school swimming gala.
The St Albans District Primary School Swimming Championships gala, held at St Albans School, is for pupils in Years 5 & 6.
Almost 100 pupils took part in the event, which is also used for selection of the district team to compete in the Hertfordshire Primary Schools Inter-District Championships at Watford next month.
Emilia Dunwoodie from Harpenden Academy was the stand out swimmer at the meet, achieving three records in her four events.
She also walked away with the Championship Best Performance cup.
You may also want to watch:
Dunwoodie broke a long standing record in the 50m Freestyle for Year 5 girls by over a second, a significant margin.
James Atwell from The Grove Junior School in Harpenden broke two records on his way to victories in three events.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 3 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 4 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 5 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
Kirsty Fuge from St Albans High School for Girls was another record-breaker.
The year 6 girls group was particularly competitive with Freya Dibley, Lucy Coia-Bell and Sarah McGrath all winning a mixture of events.
Andrew Ellis, chair of the St Albans District Primary Schools Association said: “The standard of the St Albans District swimmers was extremely high this year and this was confirmed with 6 records broken.
“The selected team will now go on to attempt to regain the Herts Championship trophy, last won by St Albans District in 2014.”